Christ Church Picture Gallery: Difference between revisions

replaced: Anthony Van Dyck → Anthony van Dyck using AWB
(replaced: Anthony Van Dyck → Anthony van Dyck using AWB)
'''Christ Church Picture Gallery''' is an art museum at [[Christ Church, Oxford|Christ Church]], one of the colleges of [[Oxford University]] in [[England]]. The gallery holds an important collection of about 300 Old Master paintings and nearly 2,000 drawings. It is one of the most important private collections in the [[United Kingdom]]. The greater part of the collection was bequeathed by a former member of the college, General John Guise, arriving after his death in 1765.<ref>[http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/gallery Christ Church Picture Gallery.] Christ Church, Oxford; 22 January 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013. [http://www.webcitation.org/6GCI6SWpB Archived here.]</ref> Further gifts and bequests were made by [[William Fox-Strangways, 4th Earl of Ilchester|W.T.H. Fox-Strangways]], [[Walter Savage Landor]], Sir Richard Nosworthy & C.R. Patterson (Russian Orthodox metal plaques, many enamelled).
 
The Picture Gallery is especially strong on [[Italy|Italian]] art from the 14th to 18th centuries. The collection includes paintings by [[Annibale Carracci]] (''[[The Butcher's Shop]]''), [[Duccio]], [[Fra Angelico]], [[Hugo van der Goes]], [[Giovanni di Paolo]], [[Filippino Lippi]] ([[The Wounded Centaur]]), [[Sano di Pietro]], [[Frans Hals]], [[Salvator Rosa]], [[Tintoretto]], [[Anthony Vanvan Dyck]] and [[Paolo Veronese]], and drawings by [[Leonardo da Vinci]], [[Raphael]], [[Michelangelo]], [[Albrecht Dürer]] and [[Peter Paul Rubens]] and a great range of other artists, especially Italians.
 
The drawings collection is shown by a small exhibition, changing roughly every three months, and sometimes showing works not in the permanent collection, especially those by modern artists. The gallery was designed by [[Hidalgo Moya]] and [[Philip Powell (architect)|Philip Powell]], and built in 1968, enabling the collection to be open to the public for the first time. It is located in the Deanery garden.