Wülfrath: Difference between revisions

1,967 bytes added ,  7 years ago
Reverted to revision 543848722 by Addbot: rv to last good version. (TW)
(Reverted to revision 543848722 by Addbot: rv to last good version. (TW))
|Bürgermeister = Dr. Claudia-Almut Panke
|Bürgermeistertitel= Bürgermeisterin
|Facebook = http://www.facebook.com/Wuelfrath
|Partei =
}}
As early as 1265 the presence of a smith can be demonstrated from the tax and rent register. The estate of Puttbach in the hundred of the same name was in the possession of the [[Teutonic Knights]] in 1392. It became the administrative centre for the order's scattered properties, where every year the manorial court was held.
 
In 1578 the village was destroyed by a great fire, which also burnt the roof and tower of the church. To help mitigate the severe losses of the inhabitants, the local prince, Duke Johann Wilhelm IV of Jülich-Kleve-Berg, granted them in 1579 a charter of market rights,e ofpermitting townshis in''village theand Rhineparish Provincialof Parliament.Wulfrod'' Infour 1856free itmarkets finallya receivedyear. fullBut municipalexactly rightsone withhundred years after the passingfirst offire, another destroyed the townentire ordinancevillage forcentre thewith more than Rhine70 Provincehouses.
 
After the transfer of the [[Duchy of Berg]] to the [[France|French]] and the establishment of the Grand Duchy of Berg, out of the hundreds Erbach, Püttbach, Obschwarzbach, Niederschwarzbach (all previously Amt [[Mettmann]]), Flandersbach, Rützkausen (previously Amt [[Angermund]]) and Oberdüssel (previously in the lordship of [[Schöller]]) was formed in 1808 the municipality (''mairie'') of Wülfrath. In 1809 Obschwarzbach and Niederschwarzbach were added to Mettmann, in return for which, the hundred of Unterdüssel with the village of Düssel were given to Wülfrath.
Church and other buildnded by houses and shops built round it in a circle, forming a beautiful enclosed church square typical of the ancient Berg region.
 
After the wars of liberation the place came to [[Prussia]], as part of the newly created ''Rhine Province''. By an ordinance of 1827 Wülfrath was entitled to representation as part of the estate of towns in the Rhine Provincial Parliament. In 1856 it finally received full municipal rights with the passing of the town ordinance for the Rhine Province.
The surrounding houinhbhjm- refurbished 1911), ''Auf'm Haus'' (1678),'' Großer Klaus'' (1686 - rebuilt 1964), ''Kleiner Klaus'' (1678), ''Scholle'' (1678), ''Hinter'm Turm'' (1678), ''Jostenhaus'' (refurbished about 1738), ''Hechtsteinhaus'' (1678), ''Op de Trapp'' (1678) and ''Leonhards'' (rebuilt 1955).
 
==Church and other buildings==
At the time of the first recorded reference in c. 1100, the first church building could already have been standing on the site of the present church square, a small early mediaeval church with a square choir. Since the 11th century a [[Romanesque architecture|romanesque]] church stood there, which was extended and enlarged in the 15th century with [[gothic architecture|Gothic]] additions. In the mid-15th century it was referred to as [[Cornelius of Armagh|Saint Cornelius]]' church. The tower and north aisle with the wall separating it from the nave are romanesque, probably from the 12th century. The nave is Gothic, from the 14th century. The south aisle in Late Gothic style was completed, according to a [[Coping (architecture)|capstone]], in 1524. The church is surrounded by houses and shops built round it in a circle, forming a beautiful enclosed church square typical of the ancient Berg region.
 
The surrounding houinhbhjmhouses remain for the most part in their original state and are protected buildings, although others have been rebuilt. Each of them had (and still has) a name as well as a house number: ''Auf'm Keller'' (1678), ''Hamels'' (1678), ''Melanders'' (1678), ''Op der Ley'' (about 1600 - refurbished 1911), ''Auf'm Haus'' (1678),'' Großer Klaus'' (1686 - rebuilt 1964), ''Kleiner Klaus'' (1678), ''Scholle'' (1678), ''Hinter'm Turm'' (1678), ''Jostenhaus'' (refurbished about 1738), ''Hechtsteinhaus'' (1678), ''Op de Trapp'' (1678) and ''Leonhards'' (rebuilt 1955).
 
In 2001 a part of the historic Old Town yet again fell victim to the flames. During the night of 21 January 2001 a fire broke out which destroyed three of the old [[half-timbered]] houses. They had to be demolished, and have been replaced by modern buildings.
 
==Politics==
 
===Twinned cities===
*{{Flagicon|UK}} {{Flagicon|England}} [[Ware, Hertfordshire|Ware]], [[England]], [[United Kingdom]] (since 1971)
 
==Sites of interest==
 
===Museums===
*[[Niederbergisches Museum]], Bergstrasse 22-24
 
==External links==
{{Commons categorycat}}
*{{de icon}}[http://www.wuelfrath.de Wülfrath Town Homepage]
<br>