Library of Michigan: Difference between revisions

no edit summary
 
The '''Library of Michigan''' is a state-run library and historical center located in [[Lansing, Michigan]] that was created to provide one perpetual state institution to collect and preserve Michigan publications, conduct reference and research, and support libraries statewide.<ref>[http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/lm_mcl-act-540-of-1982_313888_7.pdf Act to Create the Library of Michigan], Act 540 of 1982</ref><ref name="News">{{Citation |work= [[Oakland University|News at Oakland University]] |publication-date=November 19, 2003 |title=Didier elected chair of Library of Michigan board |author= |accessdate= January 10, 2013 |url=http://www.oakland.edu/view_news.aspx?sid=34&nid=1548}}</ref> Previously under the [[Michigan Department of History, Arts and Libraries]] state agency and, as of 2009, under the [[Michigan Department of Education]],<ref>{{cite web|url=http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20090713/FREE/907139978# |title=Governor eliminates Michigan Dept. of History, Arts and Libraries |work=[[Crain's Detroit Business]]|accessdate=January 10, 2013 |format=}}</ref> the library is Michigan’s official state library agency. A notable side-project of the Library of Michigan is the [[Michigan eLibrary]] (MeL), one of the first online libraries on the Internet. MeL provides full-text articles, books, Michigan history materials, and evaluated web sites to residents of the state of Michigan. In 2003, the Library of Michigan Board of Trustees elected as chair [[Elaine Didier]], dean of [[Oakland University]]'s Kresge Library and professor at Oakland University.<ref name="News"/>
 
==History==
In 1828, a territorial library was created containing laws and government documents for use by the territorial council, and William B. Hunt is appointed the territorial librarian. Nine years later, the former territorial library became the state library, and Governor [[Stevens T. Mason]] appointed Oren Marsh as the first state librarian.
 
In 1879, the state library moved to the new [[Michigan Capitol|State Capitol]] in Lansing. It was originally a two-story room on the second and third floor in the west wing. The space is now the Speaker's Library on the second floor and the House Appropriations Committee room on the third floor.
 
A fire in the State Office Building where the library was housed in 1951 destroyed 20,000 books and damages 30,000 more.
 
Public Act 540 of 1982 created the Library of Michigan and transferred control of the library from the Department of Education to the Legislative Council. Three years later, the Library of Michigan Foundation, which secures funds to support the library’s priority programs and projects, is established. In 1988, the Michigan Library and Historical Center opened, tripling the Library of Michigan’s space and merging its full collection of books in one place for the first time since the 1951 fire.
 
In 2001, the library was moved to the new Department of History, Arts and Libraries. After that department's abolition in 2009, the library was moved back to the Department of Education.<ref>[Library of Michigan: 175 Years of Service http://www.michigan.gov/libraryofmichigan/0,2351,7-160-19270_28958-58705--,00.html]</ref><ref>[http://www.michigan.gov/documents/gov/EO36_285881_7.pdf Michigan Executive Order 2009-36: Abolishing the Department of History, Arts and Libraries]</ref>
 
==Building==