Wülfrath: Difference between revisions

m (r2.7.3) (Robot: Adding uz:Wülfrath)
<!--In 1256 the [[Roman Catholic|Catholic]] church of [[Saint Maximin]] in Düssel (''Dussela'') is mentioned, although the oldest parts of the romanesque [[basilica]] can be dated to the early 12th century. not sure why this was included-->
 
The boundaries are given in a deed of grant of the [[Henry VI, Holy Roman Emperor|Emperor Henry VI]] dated 16 October 1165 as the courses of the Rhein, Ruhr and [[Düssel]] (''Tussella'') rivers. The eastern boundary was the old highway of the "Kölnische Straße" (''strata colonensis''), which ran from the bridge over the Ruhr at [[Werden]] via [[Velbert]] and Wülfrath along the Düssel towards [[Cologne]]. The centre of the mediaeval village was a demesne farm or manor (Mollmershof), which as part of the lordship of [[Hardenberg]] was sold to the [[Counts of Berg]]. Possession of this manor, to which an extensive group of scattered farms belonged, particularly in the hundreds of [[Erbach, Mettmann|Erbach]] and [[Püttbach]], also gave control of the [[advowson]] of the church, that is, the right to appoint the priest.
 
As early as 1265 the presence of a smith can be demonstrated from the tax and rent register. The estate of Puttbach in the hundred of the same name was in the possession of the [[Teutonic Knights]] in 1392. It became the administrative centre for the order's scattered properties, where every year the manorial court was held.
 
==Church and other buildings==
At the time of the first recorded reference in c. 1100, the first church building could already have been standing on the site of the present church square, a small early mediaeval church with a square choir. Since the 11th century a [[Romanesque architecture|romanesque]] church stood there, which was extended and enlarged in the 15th century with [[gothic architecture|Gothic]] additions. In the mid-15th century it was referred to as [[Cornelius of Armagh|Saint Cornelius]]' church. The tower and north aisle with the wall separating it from the nave are romanesque, probably from the 12th century. The nave is Gothic, from the 14th century. The south aisle in Late Gothic style was completed, according to a [[Coping (architecture)|capstone]], in 1524. The church is surrounded by houses and shops built round it in a circle, forming a beautiful enclosed church square typical of the ancient Berg region.
 
The surrounding houses remain for the most part in their original state and are protected buildings, although others have been rebuilt. Each of them had (and still has) a name as well as a house number: ''Auf'm Keller'' (1678), ''Hamels'' (1678), ''Melanders'' (1678), ''Op der Ley'' (about 1600 - refurbished 1911), ''Auf'm Haus'' (1678),'' Großer Klaus'' (1686 - rebuilt 1964), ''Kleiner Klaus'' (1678), ''Scholle'' (1678), ''Hinter'm Turm'' (1678), ''Jostenhaus'' (refurbished about 1738), ''Hechtsteinhaus'' (1678), ''Op de Trapp'' (1678) and ''Leonhards'' (rebuilt 1955).
*{{Flagicon|UK}} {{Flagicon|England}} [[Ware, Hertfordshire|Ware]], [[England]], [[United Kingdom]] (since 1971)
*{{Flagicon|France}} [[Bondues]], [[Nord-Pas-De-Calais]], [[France]] (since 2003)
*{{Flagicon|USA}} [[Ames, Iowa|Ames]], [[Iowa]], [[USA]] (since 1985)
 
===Sponsorship===