Yaroslav's Court: Difference between revisions

removed a statement
m (linked)
(removed a statement)
Yaroslav's Court is named after [[Yaroslav the Wise]] who, while prince of Novgorod (988-1015), built a palace there. The Novgorodian veche often met in front of Yaroslav's Court and in 1224 several pagan sorcerers were burned at the stake there.
 
According to the traditional scholarship, after the Novgorodians evicted Prince Vsevolod Mstislavich in 1136, Novgorod began electing their princes and forbade them from holding land in Novgorod. Yaroslav's Court then ceased to be a princely compound and the prince resided at Riurikovo Gorodishche.<ref>Janet Martin, ''Medieval Russia 980-1584'' (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1995)'.</ref> Between 1113 and 1136, the [[Saint Nicholas Cathedral, Veliky Novgorod|Saint Nicholas Cathedral]] was built at the Court, presumably at the location of the former residence. The cathedral is intact and is the second oldest building in Veliky Novgorod after the [[Saint Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod|Saint Sophia Cathedral]].
 
==References==