Belonging to the Bishop of Passau's territory for more than 600 years, the city became part of the [[Kingdom of Bavaria]] in 1806 and in 1871 of the [[German Empire]].
Waldkirchen burned down 6 times (1492- 1945). The last time was on April 26th 1945, when Waldkirchen was destroyed by advancing [[United States|American]] troops because of a misunderstanding. Thereby died eight persons and 48 houses and also the historical church were destroyed. Thus 120
The totally devastated city was rebuilt during the 1950s and became a "Stadt" (City) in 1972.