Novgorod Detinets: Difference between revisions

changed to neutral term
m (robot Modifying: ca:Kremlin de Nóvgorod)
(changed to neutral term)
The current fortress was built between 1484 and 1490 by [[Grand Duchy of Moscow|Muscovite]] builders in the wake of [[Ivan III of Russia|Grand Prince Ivan III's]] conquest of the city in 1478; a third of it was paid for by the Novgorodian archbishop [[Gennady (Archbishop of Novgorod)|Gennady]], a Muscovite appointee (1484-1504).<ref>Michael C. Paul, "The Military Revolution in Russia 1550-1682," ''The Journal of Military History'' 68, No. 1 (January 2004):34, fn. 122.</ref> It is a large oval 545 meters long and 240 meter wide with nine surviving towers (three additional towers have not survived). The tallest tower, the Kokui tower is capped by a silver dome. It was built in the eighteenth century and its name is of Swedish origin. The walls are 1,487 meters in circumference.
 
The main buildings in the Detinets are the Cathedral of Holy Wisdom and the archiepiscopal/metropolitan compound in the northwestern corner. To the south of this, across the plaza in which stands the [[Millennium of Russia|Monument to the Thousand Years of Russia]], is the Novgorod Museum and the Novgorod Regional Library, housed in what had in the imperial period been the administrative building of Novgorod. The museum houses a fine icon collection and other artifacts from the city's history. Several smaller churches (the Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God along the southwestern wall near the Pokrovskii (Intercession) and Kokui towers, and the Church of St. Andrew Stratilates near the southeastern wall, and other buildings are found south of the museum, an area of the Detinets that has been left a park. There are numerous references in the chronicles to no longer extant buildings, including chapels over the gates (there were six in the republican period) and the Church of Sts. Boris and Gleb, built by Sitko Sitinits, who is thought to be the historic source for the legendary [[Sadko]]. <ref>Aleksandr Ignat'evich Semenov, ''Istoricheskie pamiatniki Novgorodskogo Kremlia'' (Novgorod: gazeta “Novgorodskaia Pravda,” 1959).</ref> An eternal flame to the soldiers of the [[Great PatrioticGerman-Soviet War]] can be seen just inside the west gate of the fortress.
 
A public beach has been formed between the southeastern part of the Kremlin and the Volkhov river.
Anonymous user