Christ Church Picture Gallery: Difference between revisions

better
(''Not to be confused with the Christchurch Art Gallery, New Zealand''<br>)
(better)
 
''Not to be confused with the [[Christchurch Art Gallery]], New Zealand''<br>
'''Christ Church Picture Gallery''' is aan pictureart gallerymuseum at [[Christ Church, Oxford|Christ Church]], [[Oxford]], [[England]]. The gallery holds an important collection of about 300 Old Master paintings and nearly 2,000 drawings. It is one of the most important private collections in the [[United Kingdom]]. The greater part of the collection was bequeathed in 1765 by a former member of the college, General John Guise. Further gifts and bequests were made by W.T.H. Fox-Strangways, [[Walter Savage Landor]], Sir Richard Nosworthy & C.R. Patterson (Russian Orthodox metal plaques, many enamelled).
 
The Picture Gallery is especially strong on [[Italy|Italian]] art from the 14th to 18th centuries. The collection includes paintings by [[Annibale Carracci]] (''[[The Butcher's Shop]]''), [[Fra Angelico]], [[Hugo van der Goes]], [[Giovanni di Paolo]], [[Filippino Lippi]] ([[The Wounded Centaur]]), [[Sano di Pietro]], [[Frans Hals]], [[Salvator Rosa]], [[Tintoretto]], [[Anthony Van Dyck]] and [[Paolo Veronese]], and drawings by [[Leonardo da Vinci]], [[Raphael]], [[Michelangelo]], [[Albrecht Dürer]] and [[Peter Paul Rubens]] and a great range of other artists, especially Italians.