Christ Church Picture Gallery: Difference between revisions

Units/dates/other
(Units/dates/other)
'''Christ Church Picture Gallery''' is a picture gallery at [[Christ Church, Oxford|Christ Church]], [[Oxford]], [[England]]. The gallery holds an important collection of about 200 Old Master paintings and nearly 2,000 drawings. It is one of the most important private collections in the [[United Kingdom]]. The greater part of the collection was bequeathed in 1765 by a former member of the college, General John Guise. Further gifts and bequests were made by W.T.H. Fox-Strangways, [[Walter Savage Landor]], Sir Richard Nosworthy & C.R. Patterson.
 
The Picture Gallery is especially strong on [[Italy|Italian]] art from the [[14th century|14th]] to [[18th century]]. Artists represented include [[Annibale Carracci]] (''[[The Butcher's Shop]]''), [[Albrecht Dürer]], [[Hugo van der Goes]], [[Leonardo da Vinci]], [[Frans Hals]], [[Filippino Lippi]], [[Michelangelo]], [[Sano di Pietro]], [[Raphael]], [[Salvator Rosa]], [[Peter Paul Rubens]], [[Tintoretto]], [[Anthony Van Dyck]] and [[Paolo Veronese]].
 
The current gallery was designed by [[Hidalgo Moya]] and [[Philip Powell (architect)|Philip Powell]], and built in 1968 and is located in the Deanery garden.
 
== External links ==
 
* [http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/gallery Christ Church Gallery website]
 
791,863

edits