Yaroslav's Court: Difference between revisions

no edit summary
'''Yaroslav's Court''' (''Yaroslavovo Dvorishche'' [Ярославово Дворище] in Russian) was the princely compound in the city of [[Novgorod the Great]]. The prince also had a compound called the ''RiurikogoRiurikovo Gorodishche'' south of the Marketside of the city.
 
Yaroslav's Court is named after [[Yaroslav the Wise]] who, while prince of Novgorod (988-1015), built a palace there. The Novgorodian veche often met in front of Yaroslav's Court. and Thein compound1224 stoodseveral justpagan southsourcers ofwere theburned Marketplace. The Trade Mart built inat the sixteenthstake andthere. seventeenth centuries, is what is left of Yaroslav's Court.
 
According to the traditional scholarship, after the Novgorodians evicted Prince Vsevolod Mstislavich in 1136, Novgorod began electing their princes and forbade them from holding land in Novgorod. Yaroslav's Court then ceased to be a princely compound and the prince resided at Riurikovo Gorodishche.
 
The compound stood just south of the Marketplace. The Trade Mart built in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, is what is left of Yaroslav's Court.