Spangenberg is a small town in northeastern Hesse, Germany.

Spangenberg
Coat of arms of Spangenberg
Coat of arms
Location of Spangenberg within Schwalm-Eder-Kreis district
KasselFulda (district)Hersfeld-RotenburgKassel (district)Marburg-BiedenkopfWaldeck-FrankenbergVogelsbergkreisVogelsbergkreisWerra-Meißner-KreisKnüllwaldHomberg (Efze)FrielendorfSchwarzenbornNeukirchenOberaulaOttrauSchrecksbachWillingshausenSchwalmstadtGilserbergJesbergNeuentalBad ZwestenBorkenMorschenMalsfeldWabernFelsbergSpangenbergMelsungenKörleGuxhagenEdermündeGudensbergNiedensteinFritzlarSpangenberg in HR.svg
About this image
Spangenberg is located in Germany
Spangenberg
Spangenberg
Spangenberg is located in Hesse
Spangenberg
Spangenberg
Coordinates: 51°7′N 9°40′E / 51.117°N 9.667°E / 51.117; 9.667Coordinates: 51°7′N 9°40′E / 51.117°N 9.667°E / 51.117; 9.667
CountryGermany
StateHesse
Admin. regionKassel
DistrictSchwalm-Eder-Kreis
Subdivisions13 Stadtteile
Government
 • MayorPeter Tigges (CDU)
Area
 • Total97.7 km2 (37.7 sq mi)
Elevation
200-530 m (−1,540 ft)
Population
 (2018-12-31)[1]
 • Total6,183
 • Density63/km2 (160/sq mi)
Time zoneCET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes
34286
Dialling codes05663
Vehicle registrationHR
Websitewww.spangenberg.de

Contents

GeographyEdit

Spangenberg lies in the Schwalm-Eder district some 35 km (22 mi) southeast of Kassel, west of the Stölzinger Gebirge, a low mountain range. Spangenberg is the demographic centrepoint of Germany.

HistoryEdit

The town of Spangenberg had its first documentary mention in 1261, at about the time when the Treffurt family ruled Spangenberg.

Historic sightsEdit

 
Schloss Spangenberg

The town is known best of all for Spangenberg Castle, built in 1253 and the town's landmark. Also worth seeing are the half-timbered buildings in the Old Town and the remains of the town's old wall, several of whose towers are still standing.

In World War II, Spangenberg Castle was used as a prisoner of war camp, Oflag IX-A/H.

Coat of armsEdit

Spangenberg's civic coat of arms is based on the town's oldest known seal from 1317. The object on the viewer's right (heraldically speaking, the left, as the shield is considered from the point of view of the bearer) side is a kind of fossilized plant locally known as a Spange (also German for "brooch" or "clip"), the town's namesake. The item on the viewer's left (heraldic right) is half of a wheel. Wheels are common in German civic heraldry, usually indicating some connection to the Archbishopric of Mainz, whose arms include wheels in honor of St. Willigis. The current colours – red and gold – have been in use since 1621.[2]

Constituent communitiesEdit

In alphabetical order, these are Bergheim, Bischofferode, Elbersdorf, Herlefeld, Kaltenbach, Landefeld, Metzebach, Mörshausen, Nausis, Pfieffe, Schnellrode, Vockerode-Dinkelberg and Weidelbach.

PartnershipsEdit

Spangenberg maintains partnerships with the following places:

 
Margarethe von der Saale

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ "Bevölkerungsstand am 31.12.2018". Hessisches Statistisches Landesamt (in German). July 2019.
  2. ^ Heraldry of the World

External linksEdit