South China Agricultural University
South China Agricultural University (SCAU) (Chinese: 华南农业大学/華南農業大學) commonly referred to as SCAU, is a public comprehensive university in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. Founded in 1909. Main campus settles in Wushan, Tianhe District, Guangzhou, People's Republic of China. South China Agricultural University was selected as one of the 7 Cultivated High-Quality Universities of Guangdong Province in 2015. SCAU is considered to have an advantage in the field of agricultural science.
|South China Agricultural College (华南农学院)|
Motto in English
|Upgrading Integrity, Broadening Knowledge, Pursuing Truth, Seeking Breakthroughs|
|Budget||¥1.32 billion (2015)|
|President||Liu Yahong |
|Campus||Urban: 2.95km², Suburb: 2.57km²|
|School Song||“金色的理想”(Golden Ideal)|
|Colors||Green and White|
The university has 26 colleges/department and more than 40,000 students, including international students from over 40 countries.
- 1909 - Guangdong province's agricultural experiment station and Affiliated Institute of Agriculture was founded.
- 1926 - College of Agriculture, National Sun Yat-sen University.
- 1952 - The nationwide readjustments of university and college resources took place in 1952. And the South China Agricultural College（华南农学院） was established, through a reorganization process that unified the agricultural schools and departments of universities from 2 provinces in Southern China, including the former National Sun Yat-sen University, Lingnan University, Guangxi University.
- 1979 - It was selected as one of National Key Universities.
- 1984 - The University was renamed as South China Agricultural University in 1984.
- 2000 - The university was transferred under the administration of Guangdong Province in 2000 during the reform of the management system of higher learning institutions.
- 2015 - Selected as a Cultivated High-level University of Guangdong Province.
The campus of South China Agricultural University is located in Tianhe District, Guangzhou, it used to be part of the old National Sun Yat-sen University campus. The main campus covers an area of over 4407 mu ( 2.95 km²), and the teaching and research base in Zengcheng covers an area of over 3863 mu ( 2.57 km²).
The Library was established in 1953 which was combined by parts of the Sun Yat-sen University Library, the Ling Nan University agriculture college library and Guangxi University agriculture college library.
By the development in recent years, the SCAU Library have developed into 4 branches including the main library, the east branch, the yuejin branch, and the college libraries.
The total paper-based collections have been over 2.42 million items/volumes in 2016. Those collections cover agriculture, engineering, liberal arts, basic sciences, economics, management, law, education, history, philosophy and other subjects.
South China Agricultural University has 26 colleges(departments), offering 95 undergraduate programs, 107 master's degree programs and 60 Ph.D degree programs. SCAU also offers 9 Professional Master Degrees and Professional Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine.
Colleges and schoolsEdit
- College of Agriculture
- College of Forestry and Landscape Architecture
- College of Horticulture
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- College of Animal Science
- College of Marine Sciences
- College of Natural Resources and Environment
- College of Life Science
- College of Food Science
- College of Engineering
- College of Water Conservancy and Civil Engineering
- College of Materials and Energy
- College of Mathematics and Informatics
- College of Software Engineering
- College of Electronic Engineering
- College of Economics and Management
- College of Public Management
- College of Humanities and Law
- College of Foreign Studies
- College of Arts
- College of Marxist Philosophy
- College of Continuing Education
- College of International Education
- Department of Physical Education
- Institute of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Zhujiang College
|2018 U.S. News & World Report Best Universities Ranking||#|
|2019 QS Top Universities Ranking||#|
|2019 QS Subject Rankings||#|
|Agriculture & Forestry||45|
|2018 U.S. News & World Report Subject Rankings||#|
|Plant and Animal Science||253|
The university consists of various research institutes such as:
- The State Key Laboratory for Conservation and Utilization of Subtropical Agro-bioresources (SKLCUSA)
- National Engineering Research Center of Plant Space Breeding
- National Engineering Research Center for Breeding Swine Industry
- New Rural Development Research Institude of SCAU
- National Center for International Collaboration Research on Precision Agricultural Aviation Pesticide Spraying Technology
- Guangdong Centre for Rural Policy Studies
- Guangzhou Sub-center for New Plant Variety Tests, Ministry of Agriculture
- The Institute of Chinese Agricultural Historic Heritage
- The individual subject ranking of South China Agricultural University was 50th-100th in Agriculture & Forestry according to the QS World University Rankings for 2016.
- The university ranked 962th according to the US News Best Global Universities 2017. In particular, its Agricultural Sciences was ranked 177th, and its Plant and Animal Science was ranked 228th.
The total enrollment of students is over 42,000, comprising 36,560 undergraduates, 6,301 graduates and 121 foreign students from 43 countries.
There are a lot of student organization in the university including the Student Union, Student Association Union, Youth Volunteer Service Centre and more than 60 student associations.
The Modern Educational Technology Center is installed with visual-audio and multi-media input-output equipment. Other direct services for students include:
- one on-campus English-learning radio
- one Employment Orientation Center for Graduating Students
- one Work for Study Service Center
- one Psychological Center
- two Students' Activity Center
- three stadiums with standardized synthetic rubber tracks and other specialized playgrounds are available for different sports
- The collection of the university library surpasses 2.42 million copies.
- 19 on-campus fieldwork bases and 339 off-campus fieldwork bases are open to students.
It has established inter-institutional ties with twenty-three universities from thirteen countries in Europe, America, Asia and Oceania. There are more and more academic exchanges between SCAU and universities in HongKong and Macao. In promoting the international multi-agricultural technological exchanges, the UNDP, FAO and WFC have attached great importance to the university and established the Regional Sericulture Training Center for Asia and Pacific and China International Center for Agricultural Training in SCAU. Up to now, the university has trained around 1000 overseas students and numerous research and government officials from over 50 countries in Asia, Europe, Africa, America, and Oceania.
- California State University, Fullerton, USA
- California State University, Fresno, USA
- University of California, Berkeley, USA
- University of California, Riverside, USA
- University of California, San Diego, USA
- University of California, Irvine, USA
- Pennsylvania State University, USA
- Kansas State University, USA
- Arkansas State University, USA
- University of Maryland, USA
- Alabama State University, USA
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Louisiana State University, USA
- Missouri University of Science and Technology, USA
- University of Hawaii, Manoa, USA
- St. John’s University, USA
- Purdue University, USA
- Texas A&M University, USA
- McGill University, Canada
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- University of Alberta, Canada
- King's University College at Western University Ontario, Canada
- University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Providence University, Taiwan
- National Chiayi University, Taiwan
- National Ilan University, Taiwan
- National Chung Hsing University, Taiwan
- Dong-A University, South Korea
- Konkuk University, South Korea
- Ewha Womans University, South Korea
- Inha University, South Korea
- Prince of Songkla University, Thailand
- Mahasarakham University, Thailand
- Khon Kaen University, Thailand
- Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Malaysia
- University Putra Malaysia, Malaysia
- Universiti Malaysia Kelantan, Malaysia
- Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel
- Tel Aviv University, Israel
- Doshisha University, Japan
- Kyoto University, Japan
- Sindh Agriculture University, Pakistan
- University College Dublin, Ireland
- University of Nottingham, UK
- University of Ulster, UK
- University of Southampton, UK
- University of Northampton, UK
- University of Central Lancashire, UK
- Grimsby Institute, UK
- University of Lincoln, UK
- University of Dundee, UK
- Aberystwyth University, UK
- University of Salford, UK
- University of Edinburgh, UK
- Birmingham City University, UK
- Bath Spa University, UK
- University of Huddersfield, UK
- Queen's University Belfast, UK
- Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
- Cardiff University, UK
- Free University of Berlin, German
- Linnaeus University, Sweden
- University of Western Australia, Australia
- University of Southern Queensland, Australia
- University of Canberra, Australia
- Australian National University, Australia
- Monash University, Australia
- University of Adelaide, Australia
- Macquarie University, Australia
- Murdoch University, Australia
- University of Auckland, New Zealand
- "华南农业大学2015年部门预算情况". Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- "Facts of SCAU, Fall 2017". Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "SCAU selected as a Cultivated High-Quality University of Guangdong Province". Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Brief Introduction of SCAU". Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Colleges & Departments of SCAU". Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "Admissions of SCAU". Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "Education > Best Global Universities > South China Agricultural University". Retrieved 2018-10-28.
- "Education > Best Global Universities > South China Agricultural University". Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "QS Top Universities - South China Agricultural University". Retrieved 2019-02-28.
- "Education > Best Global Universities > South China Agricultural University". Retrieved 2018-10-28.
- "QS World University Rankings by Subject 2016 - Agriculture & Forestry". Retrieved 1 August 2016.
- "Education > Best Global Universities > South China Agricultural University". Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- "Global Partners of SCAU". Retrieved 1 August 2016.