Socket FM2 is a CPU socket used by AMD's desktop Trinity and Richland APUs to connect to the motherboard as well as Athlon X2 and Athlon X4 processors based on them. FM2 was launched on September 27, 2012. Motherboards which feature the new FM2 CPU socket also utilize AMD's new A85X chipset.
|Chip form factors||PGA|
|FSB protocol||Unified Media Interface (UMI)|
This article is part of the CPU socket series
The socket is very similar to FM1, based on a 31×31 grid of pins with a 5×7 central void, 3 pins missing from each corner, and a few additional key pins missing. Compared to Socket FM1, two key pins were moved, and one more is removed, leaving 904 pins.
For available chipsets consult Fusion controller hubs (FCH).
The 4 holes for fastening the heatsink to the motherboard are placed in a rectangle with lateral lengths of 48 mm and 96 mm for AMD's sockets Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3, Socket AM3+ and Socket FM2. Cooling solutions should therefore be interchangeable.
|Brand||Llano||Trinity||Richland||Kaveri||Carrizo||Bristol Ridge||Raven Ridge||Picasso||Desna, Ontario, Zacate||Kabini, Temash||Beema, Mullins||Carrizo-L||Stoney Ridge|
|Released||Aug 2011||Oct 2012||Jun 2013||Jan 2014||Jun 2015||Jun 2016||Oct 2017||Jan 2019||Jan 2011||May 2013||Q2 2014||May 2015||June 2016|
|GPU microarchitecture||TeraScale 2 (VLIW5)||TeraScale 3 (VLIW4)||GCN 2nd gen||GCN 3rd gen||GCN 5th gen||TeraScale 2 (VLIW5)||GCN 2nd gen||GCN 3rd gen|
|Instruction set||TeraScale instruction set||GCN instruction set||TeraScale instruction set||GCN instruction set|
|Fab. (nm)||GlobalFoundries 32 SOI||GlobalFoundries 28 SHP||GlobalFoundries 14LPP||GlobalFoundries 12LP||TSMC 40||28|
|die area (mm2)||228||246||245||245||250||210||210||75 (+ 28 FCH)||~107||?||125|
|Socket||FM1, FS1||FM2, FS1+, FP2||FM2+, FP3||FM2+[a], FP4||AM4, FP4||AM4, FP5||FT1||AM1, FT3||FT3b||FP4|
|3D engine[b]||Up to 400:20:8||Up to 384:24:6||Up to 512:32:8||Up to 704:44:16||Up to 704:44:16||80:8:4||128:8:4||Up to 192:?:?|
|Video decoder||UVD 3.0||UVD 4.2||UVD 6.0||VCN 1.0||UVD 3.0||UVD 4.0||UVD 4.2||UVD 6.0||UVD 6.3|
|Video encoder||N/A||VCE 1.0||VCE 2.0||VCE 3.1||N/A||VCE 2.0||VCE 3.1|
|GPU power saving||PowerPlay||PowerTune||N/A||PowerTune|
- APU models: A8-7680, A6-7480. CPU only: Athlon X4 845.
- Unified shaders : texture mapping units : render output units
- To play protected video content, it also requires card, operating system, driver, and application support. A compatible HDCP display is also needed for this. HDCP is mandatory for the output of certain audio formats, placing additional constraints on the multimedia setup.
- To feed more than two displays, the additional panels must have native DisplayPort support. Alternatively active DisplayPort-to-DVI/HDMI/VGA adapters can be employed.
- DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) is a component of the Linux kernel. Support in this table refers to the most current version.
- van Miltenburg, Olaf (2012-09-27). "AMD introduceert Trinity-apu's voor de desktop". Tweakers.
- Hugosson, Jacob (2011-10-03). "AMD Piledriver 10% faster than Bulldozer". NordicHardware.
- Chris Angelini (September 26, 2012), "Socket Compatibility And The A85X FCH", Tom's Hardware: 6, retrieved 2012-12-10
- "AMD Mobile "Carrizo" Family of APUs Designed to Deliver Significant Leap in Performance, Energy Efficiency in 2015" (Press release). 20 November 2014. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "AMD VEGA10 and VEGA11 GPUs spotted in OpenCL driver". VideoCardz.com. Retrieved 6 June 2017.
- "The Mobile CPU Comparison Guide Rev. 13.0 Page 5 : AMD Mobile CPU Full List". TechARP.com. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Cutress, Ian (1 February 2018). "Zen Cores and Vega: Ryzen APUs for AM4 – AMD Tech Day at CES: 2018 Roadmap Revealed, with Ryzen APUs, Zen+ on 12nm, Vega on 7nm". Anandtech. Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- Larabel, Michael (17 November 2017). "Radeon VCN Encode Support Lands in Mesa 17.4 Git". Phoronix. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Tony Chen; Jason Greaves, "AMD's Graphics Core Next (GCN) Architecture" (PDF), AMD, retrieved 13 August 2016
- "A technical look at AMD's Kaveri architecture". Semi Accurate. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "How do I connect three or More Monitors to an AMD Radeon™ HD 5000, HD 6000, and HD 7000 Series Graphics Card?". AMD. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- Airlie, David (26 November 2009). "DisplayPort supported by KMS driver mainlined into Linux kernel 2.6.33". Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Radeon feature matrix". freedesktop.org. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Deucher, Alexander (16 September 2015). "XDC2015: AMDGPU" (PDF). Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- Michel Dänzer (17 November 2016). "[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-amdgpu 1.2.0". lists.x.org.
- btarunr (2011-07-25). "AMD's Next Gen. Korona High-End Desktop Platform to Fuse Processor with Northbridge". TechPowerUp.
- "APU依然当家 AMD明年各平台产品线曝光".
|This electronics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|