Shrines to the Virgin Mary
A shrine to the Virgin Mary (or Marian shrine) is a shrine marking an apparition or other miracle ascribed to the Blessed Virgin Mary, or a site on which is centered a historically strong Marian devotion. Such locales are often the destination of pilgrimages.
- Our Lady of Banneux in Banneux, Liège
- Our Lady of Beauraing in Beauraing, Namur
- Holy Virgin in Halle, Flemish Brabant
- Our Lady of Lourdes in Oostakker, East Flanders
- Our Lady of Scherpenheuvel, Flemish Brabant
- Onze-Lieve-Vrouwebasiliek, Tongeren, Limburg
- Our Lady of Tongre, in Tongre-Notre-Dame, Hainaut
Bosnia and HerzegovinaEdit
- For a complete list, see footnote
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Chartres in Chartres
- Clermont-Ferrand Cathedral
- Notre Dame de La Salette in La Salette:
- Notre Dame de Bonne Délivrance in Neuilly:
- Notre Dame de Paris in Paris
- Basilica of Notre Dame des Victoires in Paris
- Our Lady of Lourdes and the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes, in Lourdes
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Strasbourg in Strasbourg
- Shrine of St. Mary, in Aachen Cathedral. This church, frequently referred to as the Kaiserdom ("Imperial Cathedral"), is a Roman Catholic church in Aachen.
- Chapel of Grace, in Altötting, Bavaria. The first miracles attributed to praying to the Virgin Mother at this shrine were reported to have taken place in 1489.
- Chapel of Grace in Kevelaer, North Rhine-Westphalia, site of an "Image of Grace" (Gnadenbild) of St.Mary since the Thirty Years' War.
- The Basilica of the Virgin of the Rosary (Temple of Santo Domingo). Guatemala city.
- The Virgin of Carmel Sanctuary. Guatemala city.
- The Basilica of the Annunciation, in Nazareth.
- Stella Maris, Monastery, Mt Carmel, Haifa, Israel
- The Abbey of the Dormition, also known as Church of the Dormition of Our Lady on Mount Zion, in Jerusalem.
- The Church of the Tomb of the Virgin Mary in the garden of Gethsemane, in Jerusalem
- Chapel of the Milk Grotto of Virgin Mary in Bethlehem
- Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health, Vailankanni, Tamil Nadu
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Mount, Bandra, Mumbai
- St. Mary's Basilica, Bangalore Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Annai Velankanni Shrine, Besant Nagar, Chennai
- Our Lady of Snows Basilica, Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu
- National Shrine Basilica of Our Lady of Ransom, Vallarpadam, Kerala
- Shrine Of Our Lady Of Health, Khairatabad Hyderabad
- Poondi Matha Bascillica, Poondi, Tamil Nadu
- Korattymuthy Our Lady with Poovan Bananas, Shrine of Hail Mary, Koratty, Kerala
- Basilica of Our Lady of Snow (Manjumatha), Pallipport, Pallippuram, Ernakulam, Kerala
- St. Mary's Global Marian Cathedral, Manarcaud
- St. Mary's Church Meenangadi
- Major Archiepiscopal Marth Mariam Archdeacon Pilgrim Church, Kuravilangad
- Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Rome, home of the Salus Populi Romani icon
- Holy Mary of Third Millennium at Three Fountains, Rome
- Sanctuary and Sacro Monte di Oropa, Biella, Piedmont
- Santuario di Barbana, Grado, Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Sanctuary of Macereto, Parco Nazionale dei Monti Sibillini, Marche
- Santa Maria in Aracoeli, Rome
- Shrine of Our Lady of Bonaria, Cagliari, Sardinia
- Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei, Pompei, Campania
- Shrine of the Holy House, Loreto, Marche
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Montallegro, Rapallo, Liguria
- Sanctuary of Madonna dei Miracoli, Motta di Livenza, Veneto
- Shrine of Santa Maria del Fonte, Caravaggio, Lombardia
- Our Lady of Bechouat, a Marian sanctuary in the Beqaa Valley of Lebanon.
- Our Lady of Bekaa, a Marian shrine located in Zahlé, Lebanon with panoramic views of the Beqaa Valley.
- Our Lady of the Waterfall, a Marian shrine in Jezzine, Lebanon
- Our Lady of Lebanon, a Marian shrine in Harissa, Lebanon
- Our Lady of Light, a Marian chapel in Centre Ville, Beirut in Lebanon
- Our Lady of Lourdes Monument, Ain Ebel, Lebanon
- Our Lady of Mantara, a Marian shrine in Maghdouché, Lebanon
- Our Lady of Miziara, Mother of Mercies, Zgharta, Lebanon
- Our Lady of Nourieh, a Marian shrine and monastery atop Theoprosopon in Hamat, Lebanon.
- Our Lady of the Wind, Enfeh, Lebanon
- Chapel of Our Lady of Good Health (Annai Vailankanni) Kampung Pandan Kuala Lumpur. Website: http://www.sacredheartkl.org/
- Our Lady Star of the Sea, Maastricht
- Our Lady the Sweet Mother, 's-Hertogenbosch, St. John's Cathedral
- Our Lady of Handel, Handel
- The Lady of All Nations, Amsterdam
- Our Lady Wealth of Joys, Oirschot
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Sittard
- Our Lady at Peril, Heiloo
- Our Lady of the Enclosed Garden, Warfhuizen
- Our Lady under the Limes, Uden
- Our Lady of Ommel, Ommel
- Our Lady under the Limes, Thorn
- Our Lady of Frieswijk, Schalkhaar
- Our Lady of Oud-Zevenaar, Oud Zevenaar
- Our Lady of Bolsward, Bolsward
- Our Lady of Leeuwarden, Leeuwarden
- Our Lady ter Weeghe, Haastrecht
- Our Lady of the sand, Roermond
- Our Lady of Schilberg, Echt
- Our Lady of Haarlem, Haarlem
- Our Lady of Eiteren, IJsselstein
- Our Lady in the Oak, Meerveldhoven
- Our Lady of Aarle-Rixtel, Aarle-Rixtel
- Minor Basilica and Metropolitan Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Intramuros, Manila
- National Shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help, Baclaran, Parañaque
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary of La Naval de Manila (Santo Domingo Church), Quezon City
- Archdiocesan Shrine of Nuestra Señora de Consolacion y Correa (San Agustin Church), Intramuros, Manila
- Virgen de los Remedios de Pampanga, Arzopispado de Pampanga, San Fernando, Pampanga
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Covadonga (San Jose Parish Church) La Trinidad, Benguet
- Our Lady, Mary Mediatrix of All Grace, Carmelite Monastery, Lipa, Batangas
- Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Caysasay, Taal, Batangas
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Visitation of Piat, Piat, Cagayan
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Peñafrancia, Naga, Camarines Sur
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, Malolos, Bulacan
- Shrine of Mary, Queen of Peace (EDSA Shrine), Mandaluyong
- Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Loreto, Sampaloc, Manila
- Archdiocesan Shrine of Nuestra Seňora de Guia, Ermita, Manila
- Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia de Manila, Paco, Manila
- Basilica of Our Lady of Manaoag, Manaoag, Pangasinan
- National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, Better Living Subdivision, Parañaque
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral, Pasig
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral of Cubao, Quezon City
- Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, New Manila, Quezon City
- Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Mercy, Novaliches, Quezon City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, Quezon City
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, Antipolo City, Rizal
- Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Aranzazu, San Mateo, Rizal
- Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Abandoned, Marikina City
- Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Light, Cainta, Rizal
- Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Salvation, Joroan, Tiwi, Albay
- Our Lady of the Rule, Lapu-Lapu, Cebu
- Our Lady of the Pillar, Fort Pilar, Zamboanga City, Zamboanga del Sur
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima, Marulas, Valenzuela
- National Shrine of Our Lady of the Abadoned, Santa Ana, Manila
- Minor Basilica of Our Lady of Charity, Agoo, La Union
- Shrine of Our Lady of Charity (Saint Augustine Parish Church) Bantay, Ilocos Sur
- Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Santa Maria, Ilocos Sur
- Our Lady of Good Success, Cathedral Parish of St. Andrew, Parañaque
- Cathedral of Our Lady of the Pillar, Imus, Cavite
- Immaculate Concepcion Parish Church, Dasmariñas, Cavite
- National Shrine of Our Lady of La Salette, Biga II, Silang, Cavite
- Nuestra Señora de la Soledad de Porta Vaga (San Roque Church) Cavite City
- Diocesan Shrine of Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de Turumba, Pakil, Laguna
|Marian Sanctuaries in Poland|
|Locality||Church||Relic or Object|
|Bardo||Church of the Visitiation of our Lady. Redemptorists||Sculpture of our lady from the 12th century ., crowned 3 July 1966. (abp Bolesław Kominek)|
|Biechowo||Church of the Immaculate Conception Paulists||Icon of Our Lady of Joy MB from the 15th century crowned 12 September 1976. by (cardinal. Stefan Wyszyński)|
|Bochnia||Church of St. Nicholas||Icon of Our Lady from the 15th-16th century, crowned in 1931.|
|Borek Stary||Monastery of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary||obraz MB Borkowskiej z Dzieciątkiem, crowned on 15 August 1919|
|Brdów||Pauline Fathers Monastery||Icon of Victoriaus Our Lady, crowned in 1983|
|Częstochowa||Jasna Góra Monastery||The Black Madonna of Częstochowa, crowned on 8 September 1717|
|Gniezno||Franciscan church and monastery in Gniezno||Virgin Mary of Consolation, the Lady of Gniezno|
|Kalwaria Zebrzydowska||Kalwaria Zebrzydowska park||Our Lady of Calvary|
|Kodeń||The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate Monastery of Saint Ann||Icon of Our Lady, Mother of Unity|
|Krzeszów, Lower Silesian Voivodeship||Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Krzeszów||Icon of Our Lady, Mother of Grace|
|Licheń Stary||The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lichen||Icon of Our Lady of Sorrows|
|Łukawiec||The Sanctuary od Our Lady of Łukawiec||Obraz Matki Bożej Łukawieckiej z Tartakowa from 17th century, crowned on 3 June 1991|
|Niepokalanów||The Franciscan Basilica of Omni-mediatress of All Glories||Figure of Our Lady of Omni-mediatress of All Glories|
|Przeworsk||The Bernardine Monastery of Saint Barbara||Icon of Our Lady of Consolation from the 17th century|
|Różanystok||The Salesian Church||Icon of Our Lady, Help of Christians|
|Rychwałd, Silesian Voivodeship||Minor basilica of Rychwałd - Sanctuary in Rychwałd||Madonna and Child - Our Lady of Rychwałd|
|Stara Błotnica||Church of the Immaculate Conception||Icon of Our Lady from the 16th century crowned in 1977.|
|Stoczek Klasztorny||Former Bernardine Church||Icon of Our Lady Queen of Peace|
|Święta Lipka||Basilica of the Visitation - Sanctuary of Saint Mary||Madonna and Child - Our Lady of Swięta Lipka|
|Wąwolnica||Basilica of St. Adalbert||Virgin Kębelska -Figure of the Virgin Mary with the baby Christ|
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima in Fátima, Portugal
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sameiro in Braga, Portugal
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lapa, in Sernancelhe, Portugal
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Good Health, Póvoa de Varzim, Portugal
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Piety (Sovereign Mother), Loulé, Portugal
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Ortiga in Fátima, Portugal
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Nazaré, Nazaré, Portugal
This section needs expansion with: more shrines. You can help by adding to it. (May 2017)
- Marianka, Malacky District
- Basilika Minor-Visitation of Virgin Mary-Levoca
- Basilika of Birthday Virgin Mary-Zilina
- Basilika of Birthday Virgin Mary-Vranov n Toplou
- Our Lady of Snow-Banska Stiavnica
- Our Lady of Sorrow-Petrzalka
- Our Lady of Rosary-Ruzomberok-Cernova
- Assumption of Virgin Mary-Bratislava-Blumental
- Assumption of Virgin Mary-Bratislava-Notre Dame
- Assumption of Virgin Mary-Banska Stiavnica
- Assumption of Virgin Mary-Topolcany
- Assumption of Virgin Mary-Pezinok
- Visitation of Virgin Mary-Nitra
- The Sanctuary of Chandavila, in La Codosera, Extremadura
- The Sanctuary of Black Virgin of Montserrat, in Montserrat, Catalonia
- The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Covadonga, in Picos de Europa, Asturias
- The Sanctuary of Saint Mary of Guadalupe, in Province of Cáceres, Extremadura
- The Basilica of Our Lady of the Pillar, in Zaragoza, Aragón
- The Opus Dei shrine of Torreciudad, in Aragón.
- The Shrine of Our Lady of Rocío, in Andalucia
- The Basilica and Sanctuary of Our Lady of Candelaria, Tenerife, Canary Islands
- The Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel of Garabandal, in Cantabrian Mountains
- The Benedictine Sanctuary of Valvanera, in La Rioja
- The Franciscan Sanctuary of Our Lady of Arantzazu, in Gipuzkoa
- The Basilica of Begoña in Bilbao
- The Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows of Umbe, in Laukiz, near Bilbao, Biscay
- The Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Light, in Tarifa, Andalucia
- The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Saints, in Alcalá de los Gazules, Andalucia
- The Shrine of Our Lady of Africa, Ceuta
- The Cathedral-Basilica of Our Crowned Mother of Palmar in El Palmar de Troya
- House of the Virgin Mary in Ephesus, Turkey, believed to be the place where Mary was taken to by St. John and lived until the Assumption
- Church of Mary in Ephesus, Turkey, in which the Council of Ephesus (the Third Ecumenical Council) was held in 431
- Life-giving Spring in Istanbul, a famous spring associated with the healing powers of the Theotokos, the feast of which is celebrated on the Friday after Easter.
- Ladyewell Shrine: St Mary's at Fernyhalgh and Ladyewell - The Shrine of Our Lady and the Martyrs, Fulwood, Lancashire, England
- Our Lady of Ipswich in Ipswich, England - ecumenical shrine in an Anglican church
- Our Lady of Walsingham in Walsingham, England - Anglican and Roman Catholic shrines
- Our Lady of Willesden in Willesden, London NW10 - Anglican and Roman Catholic shrines
- Shrine Church of Our Lady of Consolation and St Francis, West Grinstead, West Sussex
- Shrine of Our Lady of Egmanton in Egmanton, Nottinghamshire, England
- Our Lady of the Taper in Cardigan, Wales
- Shrine of Our Lady of Caversham, near Reading in Berkshire
- Shrine of Our Lady, Bradstowe
- Shrine of Our Lady in Penrhys, Wales
- Our Lady of the Assumption Shrine at the Friary, Aylesford, Kent
- Shrine of the Miraculous Relic Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, The Holy Child & St. Joseph Catholic Church, Bedford, England
- Our Lady of Doncaster in Doncaster, England
- Our Lady of Westminster in Westminster Cathedral, London
- Church and Shrine of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Gregory (also known as "Church of the Assumption" and "Warwick Street Church"), Warwick Street, London W1B 5LZ
- Archdiocesan Marian Shrine, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Basilica of the National Shrine of the; in Baltimore, Maryland
- Black Madonna Shrine and Grottos, in Jefferson County, Missouri
- Blessed Virgin Mary, Shrine of the; in Holy Name of Jesus Church, San Francisco, California
- Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, Los Angeles, California
- Holy Hill National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, Basilica of; in Erin, Wisconsin
- Immaculate Conception, Basilica of the National Shrine of the; in Washington, D.C.
- Immaculate Heart of Mary, National Blue Army Shrine of the; in Washington, New Jersey (see Blue Army of Our Lady of Fátima#Blue Army Shrine)
- Mary, Mother of the Church, National Shrine of; on the grounds of St. Patrick Church, Laurie, Missouri (in the Diocese of Jefferson City)
- Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine, National Shrine of; in Orlando, Florida
- Necedah Shrine, an interdicted Marian shrine in Necedah, Wisconsin.
- Our Lady of Consolation, Basilica and National Shrine of, in Carey, Ohio
- Our Lady of Czestochowa, National Shrine of; in Doylestown, Pennsylvania
- Our Lady of Fátima shrine in Franklin Furnace, Ohio
- Our Lady of Good Help, Shrine of; Brown County, Wisconsin
- Our Lady of Guadalupe, Shrine of; Des Plaines, Illinois
- Our Lady of Guadalupe, Shrine of; in LaCrosse, Wisconsin
- Our Lady of the Island, Shrine of; in Manorville, New York
- Our Lady of La Leche, Shrine of; at Mission Nombre de Dios in St. Augustine, Florida
- Our Lady of La Salette, National Shrine of; in Attleboro, Massachusetts
- Our Lady of Lebanon, National Shrine of; North Jackson, Ohio
- Our Lady of Loreto, in Goliad, Texas
- Our Lady of Lourdes, in Emmitsburg, Maryland
- Our Lady of Lourdes Belmont Abbey, Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Our Lady of Lourdes, National Shrine of; in Euclid, Ohio
- Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto located on the grounds of St. Francis Seminary, in St. Francis, Wisconsin
- Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto located on the campus of the University of Notre Dame, in Notre Dame, Indiana
- Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto maintained by the Missionary Association of Mary Immaculate in San Antonio, Texas
- Our Lady of Martyrs, Shrine of, Auriesville, New York (also known as the National Shrine of the North American Martyrs)
- Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, National Shrine of; in Perryville, Missouri
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel, National Shrine of; in Middletown, New York
- Our Lady of Peace Shrine, in Santa Clara, California
- Our Lady of Pompeii in New York City
- Our Lady of Prompt Succor, in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Our Lady of the Rockies, in Butte, Montana
- Our Lady of the Roses, Mary Help of Mothers at Bayside, New York
- Our Lady of the Snows, National Shrine of, in Belleville, Illinois
- Our Lady of Sorrows, Shrine of; in Rhineland, Missouri
- Our Lady of Walsingham, National Shrine of; in Williamsburg, Virginia
- Our Lady of Walsingham for the Episcopal Church, National Shrine to; Grace Church, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
- Our Sorrowful Mother, National Sanctuary of; in Portland, Oregon
- Queen of the Holy Rosary Memorial Shrine (in memory of military veterans) in LaSalle, Illinois
- Saint Mary, Cathedral of, in Miami, Florida
- Schoenstatt Marian Shrine, in Madison, Wisconsin
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marian shrines.|
- Marian Shrines in Canada webpage. The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute, Dayton, Ohio, US. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- es:Basílica de Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia
- "Official website of the National Shrine of Our Lady of El Cisne". Archived from the original on 25 August 2018. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- Shrine of Our Lady of Europe Archived 18 November 2008 at the Wayback Machine, Gibraltar Government
- "Shrines in India : University of Dayton, Ohio". Udayton.edu. 11 February 2019.
- "Miracle draws huge crowd to Manarcad Church". News18. 28 February 2012.
- ""Holy Soonoro (Holy Girdle) of our Mother" (Discovery)". Mgocsmdiaspora.org. 14 August 2014.
- "Missionaries of the Divine Revelation". Divinarivelazione.org. Archived from the original on 4 July 2008. Retrieved 6 May 2009.
- Lebedeva, Elena (18 December 2006). "Xрам Святого Николая Чудотворца В Толмачах" [Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Tolmachi]. pravoslavie.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 November 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Zgodovina cerkve | Marijino svetišče na Zaplazu". Zaplaz.si. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Sveta Gora - dobrodošli - Zgodovina Svete Gore". Svetagora.si. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 November 2015. Retrieved 19 November 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Suffolk Churches site". Suffolkchurches.co.uk. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- View of the two Walsingham shrines on their joint website.
- "St Mary's Willesden-Shrine of Our Lady of Willesden". stmarywillesden.
- "Our Lady of Willesden - Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Willesden".
- "SHRINE OF THE MIRACULOUS RELIC IMAGE OF OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE". www.relicourladyofguadalupe.co.uk.
- Warwick Street Church, London W1, displaying a sign "Church of the Assumption"; Lady Chapel; Grant of Indulgence (Summary of the Decree of Pope Pius IX, promulgated 15 May 1877, remaining in force in perpetuity); Reginald C. Fuller, "Warwick Street Church - A Short History and Guide".
- Marian Shrines in the United States webpage. The Marian Library/International Marian Research Institute, Dayton, Ohio. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- For further reading, see Marian Shrines of the United States: A Pilgrim's Travel Guide (Liguori Publications).
- O'Neill, Eddie (1 January 2017). "Motherly Welcome in Missouri: A Visit to the National Shrine of Mary, Mother of the Church". National Catholic Register. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Visitors to Belmont Abbey". Belmontabbeycollege.edu. 27 March 2014. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Our Lady of the Roses Mary Help of Mothers - The Official Site". www.ourladyoftheroses.org.