Sheila Reid (athlete)
Sheila Reid (born August 2, 1989) is a Canadian track and field athlete who competes in cross country, middle and long-distance running events. She competed collegiately at Villanova University. Reid won the 2010 and 2011 NCAA Women's Cross Country Championship, and in June 2011 became the first woman to win the 5000 m and the 1500 m at the NCAA Women's Outdoor Track and Field Championship. She won the Honda Sports Award as the nation's top female cross country runner in 2011, repeated as the best female cross country runner in 2012, and also won the Honda Sports Award for Track and field in 2012.
Sheila Reid winning the 1500 m at the 2011 NCAA Women's Outdoor Track and Field Championship
|National team||2012 Olympics, 2013 World Championships, 2017 World Championships|
|Born||2 August 1989|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||115 lb (52 kg)|
|Event(s)||1500 m, 5000 m, Cross country|
|College team||Villanova Wildcats|
|Coached by||Mark Rowland|
She competed in the 5000 m in Athletics at the 2012 Summer Olympics, and in the 1500 m at the 2013 World Championships in Athletics. Early in her professional career she worked as a volunteer assistant at Villanova University, and then went on to join Oregon Track Club Elite in May 2014.
On May 18, 2017, after being injured for some time, Reid made an astonishing comeback in the 1500m establishing a World Championships qualifying time of 4:07.07 while placing first at the USATF Distance Classic in San Francisco, CA. Prelude to her 2017 milestone qualification was her 4:10.40 winning performance at the Oregon Twilight on May 5. Continuing on a solid trajectory for the year, Reid placed second in 4:12.91 at the 2017 Canadian Track and Field Championships to qualify for the 2017 World Championships in London. At the 2017 World Championships in London on August 4, Reid was unable to advance to the 1500 m semi-finals after placing 12th in the preliminary heats in a time of 4:13.12.
|Outdoor||1500m||4:02.96||Eugene, OR||01 JUN 2013|
|3000m||8:44.02||London (OP)||26 JUL 2013|
|5000m||15:23.64||Walnut, CA||20 APR 2012|
|Indoor||1000m||2:44.39||New York (Armory), NY||16 JAN 2010|
|1500m||4:18.27||Eugene, OR||22 JAN 2016|
|1 Mile||4:27.02||New York (Armory), NY||16 FEB 2013|
|3000m||8:56.50||New York (Armory), NY||06 FEB 2016|
|2 Miles||9:37.97||Boston (Roxbury), MA||02 FEB 2013|
2013 Best AchievementsEdit
|Indoor||2 Miles||9:37.97||Boston, MA (USA)||02.02.2013|
|1 Mile||4:27.02||New York, NY (USA)||16.02.2013|
|Outdoor||800m||2:04.60||Walnut, CA (USA)||20.04.2013|
|1500m||4:02.96||Eugene, OR (USA)||01.06.2013|
2015 Best AchievementsEdit
|1 Mile||4:37.46||Philadelphia (USA)||25.04.2015|
2016 Best AchievementsEdit
|Indoor||1500m||4:18.27||Portland, OR (USA)||22.01.2016|
|Mile||4:27.57||Boston (Boston University), MA (USA)||28.02.2016|
|3000m||8:56.50||New York, NY (USA)||06.02.2016|
|Outdoor||1500m||4:03.96||Eugene, OR (USA)||28.05.2016|
- Kissane, John. "Sheila Reid is on the Rise". Running Times. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Gambaccini, Peter. "Racing News". RunnersWorld.com. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "Canada's Reid Wins Two NCAA Gold". The Canadian Press. TSN.ca. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- "Villanova's Sheila Reid wins Honda Collegiate Women's Sport Award for Cross Country!, release, note by Larry Eder - RunBlogRun". www.runblogrun.com. Retrieved 2020-03-26.
- "Sheila Reid Voted Honda Sports Award Winner in Track & Field". Villanova University Athletics. Retrieved 2020-03-26.
- "Track & Field". CWSA. Retrieved 2020-03-26.
- "Cross Country". CWSA. Retrieved 2020-03-26.
- Sheila Reid Joins Oregon Track Club Elite. TrackTown USA (May 2014). Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Villanova's Reid on Canadian Olympic team". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- Sheila Reid talks after running at 2013 IAAF World Championships. Youtube - by Let's Run (2013-08-11). Retrieved 2016-12-03
- Sheila Reid meets 1,500m qualifying standard for track worlds, CBC Sports - Road to the Olympic Games, May 19, 2017. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017.
- USATF Distance Classic sees Olympic-sized battle between Centro & Farah, meet record by Martinez, USA Track and Field, May 18, 2017.
- Oregon Twilight - Hayward Field - Event 28 Women 1500 Meter Run Invitational, GoDucks.com, May 5th, 2017. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017
- 2017 Canadian Track & Field Championships (Championnats canadiens d'athlétisme). 9 of July 2017. Retrieved 10 of July 2017.
- 1500 Metres Result | IAAF World Championships London 2017 | iaaf.org. iaaf.org. Aug 4, 2017.