A second-hand shop is a shop which sells goods that are not new.
People will sell used goods right in front of their home in what is called a "garage sale". The products would be set up in front of the garage.
Websites that facilitate second-hand resaleEdit
- Antique shop - sells the same type of goods, either of better quality or with rarity value, consequently charging much higher prices. The distinction between junk and antiques is not always clear-cut.
- Car dealership - New car dealers in certain countries offer pre-owned cars with variable quality and price. There are also dealers who sell only used cars.
- Car boot sale
- Consignment - consignment shop is the North American term for a second-hand shop.
- Flea market
- Give-away shop - everything is given away at no cost. Some operate as swap shops and require the customer to donate merchandise.
- Junk shop - sells all kinds of old goods. The best junk shops are piled high to encourage browsing and bargain hunting. These shops also sell low-quality antiques.
- Music store - Some music stores sell used, vintage or collectible instruments and sound gear, often using a consignment model.
- Thrift store - similar to a junk shop but set up to fund a specific charity. These tend to specialise in clothes. The quality of the clothes donated for sale depends on the surrounding area. In the United States, these are called thrift stores.
- Office furniture shop - sells mainly used goods. They are common, but lack a distinctive name.
- Pawn shop - sells used items that were pawned or sold by individuals
- Record shop - Many independent record stores sell used CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray discs, vinyl records, etc.
- Resale boutique - specializes in contemporary high-end used designer fashion, vintage clothing, or contemporary basics
- Surplus store - often sells military surplus supplies.
- Used bookstore - sells used books and other publications. Second-hand bookshops are a mainstay of book towns.
- Video game store - Most stores that specialize in video games sell second-hand video game consoles, video games, and accessories, in addition to new products.
- Jumble sale
- Wrecking yard, scrapyard, wrecking yard - sells used automotive parts