Schoinoussa or Schinoussa (Greek: Σχοινούσσα, before 1940: Σχοινούσα, pronounced [sçiˈnusa]; anciently, Ancient Greek: Σχινοῦσσα) is an island and a former community in the Cyclades, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Naxos and Lesser Cyclades, of which it is a municipal unit. It lies south of the island of Naxos, in the Lesser Cyclades group, between the island communities of Irakleia and Koufonisia. The population was 256 inhabitants at the 2011 census. Its land area is 8.512 square kilometres (3.29 sq mi).
|Administrative region||South Aegean|
|Municipality||Naxos and Small Cyclades|
|• Municipal unit||8.512 km2 (3.287 sq mi)|
|• Municipal unit||256|
|• Municipal unit density||30/km2 (78/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Schoinoussa is located south of Naxos, in the middle about of the Lesser Cyclades island group. It is the fourth largest island of the Lesser Cyclades and the second most populated, after Ano Koufonisi. The island has three settlements, Chora the capital of the island, Mesaria and Mersini which is the port of the island. The derivation of the name Schinoussa is not precisely known. It is believed that the name either derives from the corruption of the ancient name Echinousa or from a Venetian nobleman named Schinoza. Schoinoussa has been inhabited since antiquity. On the island there are sites of archaeological interest including ancient Greek and Roman ruins, ruins of a Byzantine church and a small medieval castle. From the 11th century, the island was the property of the Hozoviotissa Monastery on the nearby island of Amorgos.
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- EETAA local government changes
- Lund University. Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (in Greek)
- "Detailed Census results 2011". Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece.
- "Σχοινούσα". egeonet.gr. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "History Culture". smallcyclades.com. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Που απλώνεται η ακίνητη περιουσία της Ι.Μ. Χοζοβιώτισσας". cycladesvoice.gr. Retrieved 4 July 2015.