Sadaf Jaffer (born February 19, 1983) is an American politician and scholar. She is the Mayor of Montgomery Township, Somerset County, in the U.S. state of New Jersey, having taken office on January 3, 2019, and is the first woman of South Asian descent, first female Muslim American, and first female Pakistani American to serve as a mayor in the United States. Jaffer was first elected to Montgomery's township committee in 2017. She is a postdoctoral research associate at the Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies.
|Mayor of Montgomery Township, New Jersey|
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Born||February 19, 1983|
|Residence||Montgomery Township, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||School of Foreign Service|
Harvard University (PhD)
Early life, family and educationEdit
In 2016, Jaffer launched an unsuccessful write-in campaign. The following year she won a seat on the township committee on the Democratic ticket. In 2019, she was appointed to the position as mayor by her fellow committee members. She was sworn in on January 3, 2019, becoming the first woman of South Asian descent, first female Muslim American, and first female Pakistani American to serve as a mayor in the United States.
- "Sadaf F. Jaffer – candidate for Montgomery Township Committee". www.ggcnj.org. 19 October 2017. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Olivia Rizzo (May 21, 2019). "First female Muslim mayor in the U.S. calls this N.J. town home". New Jersey On-Line LLC. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
She is now the first female South Asian mayor of a New Jersey municipality and the first female Muslim mayor in the state. She is also believed to be the first female Muslim mayor, female Yemeni-American mayor, first Pakistani-American mayor and first female South Asian-American mayor first in the nation, according to Religionnews.com.
- Kuruvilla, Carol (January 31, 2019). "New Jersey's First South Asian Woman Mayor Is Breaking Boundaries". HuffPost. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Deak, Mike. "Montgomery: Sadaf Jaffer becomes NJ's first female South Asian mayor". Courier News. Somerville, New Jersey. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- "Sadaf Jaffer sworn in as first South Asian-American woman mayor in New Jersey". New India Times. Parikh Worldwide Media. January 4, 2019. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- "Sadaf Jaffer, Daniel Sheffield: Weddings". 27 May 2011. Retrieved 22 May 2019 – via NYTimes.com.
- de La Bruyere, Josephine (January 13, 2019). "Postdoc becomes NJ's first female South Asian mayor". The Daily Princetonian. Princeton, New Jersey. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Sharma, Ahmed (January 30, 2019). "South Asian American woman breaks boundaries with historic mayoral election". News 4 San Antonio. Sinclair Broadcast Group. Retrieved February 28, 2019.