Saal an der Donau

Saal is a municipality in the district of Kelheim in Bavaria in Germany. It is located along the banks of the Danube River, around 25 km southwest of Regensburg.

Saal a.d.Donau
Church of Christ, the King
Church of Christ, the King
Coat of arms of Saal a.d.Donau
Coat of arms
Location of Saal a.d.Donau within Kelheim district
Saal an der Donau in KEH.svg
Saal a.d.Donau is located in Germany
Saal a.d.Donau
Saal a.d.Donau
Saal a.d.Donau is located in Bavaria
Saal a.d.Donau
Saal a.d.Donau
Coordinates: 48°53′N 11°55′E / 48.883°N 11.917°E / 48.883; 11.917Coordinates: 48°53′N 11°55′E / 48.883°N 11.917°E / 48.883; 11.917
CountryGermany
StateBavaria
Admin. regionNiederbayern
DistrictKelheim
Municipal assoc.Saal an der Donau
Subdivisions15 Ortsteile
Government
 • MayorChristian Nerb (FW)
Area
 • Total44.03 km2 (17.00 sq mi)
Elevation
346 m (1,135 ft)
Population
 (2019-12-31)[1]
 • Total5,397
 • Density120/km2 (320/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+01:00 (CET)
 • Summer (DST)UTC+02:00 (CEST)
Postal codes
93342
Dialling codes09441
Vehicle registrationKEH
Websitewww.saal-donau.de

OrtsteileEdit

Villages affiliated to the administration (Ortsteil) of Saal are

  • Buchhofen
  • Reißing
  • Mitterfecking
  • Peterfecking
  • Oberfecking
  • Einmuß
  • Seilbach
  • Oberschambach
  • Unterschambach
  • Oberteuerting
  • Unterteuerting
  • Kleinberghofen
  • Gstreifet
  • Kleingiersdorf

HistoryEdit

The first settlements in Regensburg date back to the ages of the Hallstatt culture.

Saal was first mentioned in a document in 1002. Apparently Saal was at that time owned by Henry II, then Duke of Bavaria, and given to the Niedermünster Abbey in Regensburg.

Already around 1530, the Thurn und Taxis family started to run a post-house in Saal. The German poet Johann Wolfgang von Goethe stopped during his journey to Italy on September 5, 1786, at 15h in Saal for swapping horses at the post-house. The post horn featuring the coat of arms of Saal today still reminds of this tradition.[2]

 
Concentration camp memorial in Saal

During World War II, a subcamp of the Nazi concentration camp Flossenbürg, named Ringberg Me, was installed nearby the street connecting Saal and the neighboring village Teugn. The goal was to construct an underground arms industry plant for Messerschmitt, a German aircraft manufacturer. At peak times more than 600 men were imprisoned in the subcamp. After the war 20 bodies and the ashes of about 360 people were found.

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ "Tabellenblatt "Daten 2", Statistischer Bericht A1200C 202041 Einwohnerzahlen der Gemeinden, Kreise und Regierungsbezirke". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2020.
  2. ^ Haus der bayerischen Geschichte about the coat of arms of Saal