SS Weser was an ocean liner owned by North German Lloyd. The ship was built by Caird & Company of Greenock, Scotland, in 1867 and served the Bremen-Southampton-New York-Baltimore line from June 1, 1867 until June 13, 1895 when she was transferred to the Bremen-South America service for two roundtrip voyages until being sold to an Italian company in June 1896. She was renamed the Seravalle and flew under the Italian flag. The ship was scrapped in August 1896 in Genoa, Italy.

History
German Empire
Name: SS Weser
Namesake: Weser River
Owner: North German Lloyd
Builder: Caird & Company of Greenock, Scotland
Launched: May 19, 1867
Maiden voyage:
Renamed: Seravalle
Refit: 1891
Homeport: Bremen
Fate: Scrapped, August 1896
General characteristics
Type: Passenger-cargo ship
Tonnage: 2,870 t (2,820 long tons; 3,160 short tons)
Length: 325 ft (99 m)
Beam: 40 ft (12 m)
Propulsion: Single screw; 1,300 horsepower
Sail plan: Two masts
Speed:
  • 11 kn (20 km/h; 13 mph)
  • After 1891 refit: 13.5 kn (25.0 km/h; 15.5 mph)
Complement: 880 passengers

ReferencesEdit

  • Bonsor, N.R.P. North Atlantic Seaway (Vol. 2)
  • Smith, Eugene W. Passenger Ships of the World Past & Present
  • Hansen, Clas Broder Passenger liners from Germany, 1816-1990
  • Drechsel, Edwin Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mails (Vol. 1)