SRM Institute of Science and Technology
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, is a deemed university located in Kattankulathur, Chengalpattu, Tamil Nadu, India, near Chennai. It was founded in 1985 as SRM Engineering College in Kattankulathur, under University of Madras. SRM Institute of Science and Technology includes six campuses, three in Tamil Nadu — Kattankulathur, Ramapuram and Vadapalani, one in NCR Delhi, one in Sikkim and one in Amaravati. And there are about 50,000 students studying in SRM College.
|SRM Engineering College, SRM University|
|Motto||Learn. Leap. Lead.|
|Founder||T. R. Pachamuthu|
|Chancellor||Mr.T. R. Pachamuthu|
The institute gained deemed status during the 2003–2004 academic year and was renamed SRM Institute of Science and Technology. It became SRM University in 2006 following permission by the UGC for 'Deemed to be Universities' to be called 'Universities'. In 2017 it was renamed back as SRM Institute of Science and Technology following the UGC request to drop "University" from the name.
Engineering and TechnologyEdit
SRM Institute of Science and Technology conducts their own admission test known as the SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Examination (SRMJEEE). This exam is held every year in the month of April and can be taken only via the online mode of application. SRMJEEE 2020 is scheduled to be held from Thursday, 30 July to Tuesday, 4 August 2020. Exam will be conducted as per the government instructions.
The general paper pattern consists of four compulsory sections including English, Aptitude, Physics and Chemistry. The optional section consists of either Mathematics or Biology depending upon the course chosen during exam registration.
As of 2019, more than 170,000 students had appeared for the examination out of which 76,000 were called for counseling.
Located about 35 km (22 mi) away from the city of Chennai, this campus is situated on a 250 acre site overlooking Grand Southern Trunk Road (GST Road), NH-32. The main campus at Kattankulathur consists of a College of Engineering and Technology, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, College of Science and Humanities, School of Management and School of law. It is also one of the few schools in India that offers a Degree in Telecom studies.
Kattankulathur Campus also houses the SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Center and the SRM Hotel. The SRM hospital can accommodate 1200 in-patients with 25 specializations in PG education in medical science.
The campus also accommodates the SRM Institute of Hotel Management, SRM Arts and Science College, SRM Law College, SRM Management College, Valliammai Engineering College and Valliammai Polytechnic.
The Ramapuram Campus of SRM Institute of Science and Technology is located at Ramapuram, Chennai. It houses three colleges, the Faculty of Engineering and Technology, SRM Dental College, and Easwari Engineering College. The campus also offers Bachelor of Architecture, Bachelor of Design, MBA, science & humanities, and dental courses.
Vadapalani Campus is located at Vadapalani, Chennai. This campus houses the Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Faculty of Management Sciences, Faculty of MCA. The SRM Institute for Medical Sciences is also located within the campus.
SRM University, Andhra Pradesh (SRM AP), is a private university located in the planned city of Amaravati. The campus spans over 200 Acre.
The founder chairman of the SRM Group of educational institutions, T. R. Pachamuthu, was arrested in Chennai on 26 August 2016 in connection with an alleged scandal in medical admissions involving crores of rupees. More than 100 complaints had been received from parents related to "transactions" involving payment of money running into several million rupees for getting admissions to medical courses in SRM institutions. The case was resolved in October 2017 after all 136 claimants indicated their willingness to accept monetary compensation in return for withdrawing from proceedings
|Private University rankings|
|General – international|
|QS (Asia) (2020)||301-350|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2019)||52|
|NIRF (Universities) (2019)||32|
|Engineering – India|
|India Today (2020)||29|
|Pharmacy – India|
SRM Institute of Science and Technology ranked 29 among engineering colleges in India by India Today in 2020. The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked it 36 in the engineering ranking in 2019, 19 in the pharmacy ranking, 32 among universities and 52 overall.
Ranked 2nd private institute in India for Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (August 2019)
- Varun Chakravarthy, cricketer
- Abhay Jodhpurkar, singer
- Neeraj Madhav, actor
- Iswarya Menon, film actress
- Meera Mitun, model and film actress
- "Organisational Chart". SRM Institute of Science and Technology. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "History of SRM Group of Institutions". SRM University. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- "Don't use 'university' in institute names, UGC directs deemed-to-be varsities". The Indian Express. 15 November 2017. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- Sivaraman, R. (26 August 2016). "SRM University chancellor Pachamuthu arrested in cheating case". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- "SRM education group's chief Pachamuthu arrested over medical seats admission scandal". The Indian Express. 26 August 2016. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Madras HC quashes FIR against SRM's Pachamuthu in medical admission scam". The News Minute. 31 October 2017. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- "Cheating case against SRM group chief quashed". The New Indian Express. 31 October 2017.
- "QS Asia University Rankings 2020". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 2018.
- "Best ENGINEERING Colleges 2020: List of Top ENGINEERING Colleges 2020 in India". indiatoday.in. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Pharmacy)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "Rs 8.4 crore mystery spinner Varun Chakravarthy dumped architecture for cricket". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- "SRM University has its own take on 3 R's". Daily Thanthi. 14 June 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "The big break". 17 January 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- Sathyendran, Nita (24 April 2015). "Making the right moves". The Hindu. Thiruvananthapuram, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- A Sharadhaa. "Not relying on luck alone: Akshara Menon". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Sathish, Anusha (26 July 2019). "Police Officers Thronged Bigg Boss Tamil House to Enquire Meera Mithun". News Bricks. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Kamal sir was impressed with my marksheets too". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Jawalekar, Chinmay (28 October 2016). "Zafar Ansari and 15 other most educated cricketers". Cricket Country. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Kappur Vasudevan, Shilpa (6 October 2014). "Introvert Turned Lover Boy in College". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 31 December 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SRM University.|