SAGE Publishing, formerly SAGE Publications, is an independent publishing company founded in 1965 in New York by Sara Miller McCune and now based in Newbury Park, California. It publishes more than 1,000 journals, more than 800 books a year, reference works and electronic products covering business, humanities, social sciences, science, technology and medicine. SAGE also owns and publishes under the imprints of Corwin Press (since 1990), CQ Press (since 2008), Learning Matters (since 2011), and Adam Matthew Digital (since 2012). It has more than 1,500 employees in its principal offices in Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore, Washington DC, and Melbourne.
|Founder||Sara Miller McCune and George D. McCune|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Thousand Oaks, California|
|Publication types||Academic books, journals, reference and library products|
|Nonfiction topics||Social science, science, medicine, humanities, technology|
|Imprints||Corwin, CQ Press, Learning Matters, Talis, Lean Library and Adam Matthew|
SAGE was founded in 1965 in New York City by Sara Miller (later Sara Miller McCune) with Macmillan Publishers executive George D. McCune as a "mentor"; the name of the company is an acronym formed from the first letters of their given names. SAGE relocated to Southern California in 1966, after Miller and McCune married; McCune left Macmillan to formally join the company at that time. Sara Miller McCune remained president for 18 years, shifting to board chairman in 1984 (and still retains the title of executive chairman). The couple continued to develop the company together until George McCune's death in 1990.
SAGE Publishing was a founding member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) when it was established in 2008. In November 2013, OASPA reviewed SAGE's membership after the Journal of International Medical Research accepted a false and intentionally flawed paper created and submitted by a reporter for the journal Science as part of a "sting" to test the effectiveness of the peer-review processes of open access journals. SAGE's membership was reinstated at the end of the six month review period following changes to the journal's editorial processes.
- "Welcome to SAGE". UK.SagePub.com. SAGE Publications. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "SAGE Imprints". SAGE Imprints Page. SAGE Publications. Archived from the original on 4 March 2007. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- "Sage Publications USA acquires CQ Press from Times Publishing Co — May 30, 2008 - M&A Deal Snapshot". AlacraStore.com. Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- "Sage acquires Learning Matters". The Bookseller. Retrieved April 13, 2012.
- Verma, Henrietta (October 11, 2012). "SAGE Acquires Adam Matthew". Library Journal Reviews. Media Source Inc. Archived from the original on October 18, 2017. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- "Sara Miller McCune: Executive Profile & Biography". Bloomberg.com. Archived from the original on November 17, 2018. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "The SAGE Story" (PDF). StudySites.SAGEpub.com. SAGE Publishing. Archived (PDF) from the original on November 19, 2018. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- "In Memoriam George D. McCune 1924–1990". Journal of Conflict Resolution. 34 (4): 587. December 1, 1990. doi:10.1177/0022002790034004001.
- "Four more academic publishers reveal gender pay gaps". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- Brynko, Barbara (June 2011). "Simqu: Leading the Change at SAGE Publications". Information Today. Archived from the original on October 12, 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Malakoff, David (November 11, 2013). "Open-Access Group Sanctions Three Publishers After Science 'Sting'". Science Insider. American Association for the Advancement of Science. Archived from the original on October 14, 2018. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Shaffi, Sarah (April 29, 2014). "OASPA reinstates Sage membership". The Bookseller. Archived from the original on October 14, 2018. Retrieved April 29, 2014.