Roman Catholic Diocese of Townsville
Diocese of Townsville
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Brisbane|
|Area||435,200 km2 (168,000 sq mi)|
|(as of 2004)|
74,084 ( 29.4%%)
|Established||12 February 1930|
|Cathedral||Sacred Heart Cathedral, Townsville|
|Catholic Diocese of Townsville|
The following individuals have been elected as Roman Catholic Bishops of Townsville:
Order Name Date enthroned Reign ended Term of office Reason for term end 1 Terence Bernard McGuire † 12 February 1930 14 June 1938 8 years, 122 days Appointed Bishop of Goulburn 2 Hugo Edward Ryan † 13 July 1938 14 September 1967 29 years, 63 days Retired and appointed Bishop Emeritus of Townsville 3 Leonard Anthony Faulkner † 14 September 1967 2 September 1983 15 years, 353 days Elevated as Coadjutor Archbishop of Adelaide 4 Raymond Conway Benjamin † 14 February 1984 18 April 2000 16 years, 64 days Retired and appointed Bishop Emeritus of Townsville 5 Michael Ernest Putney † 24 January 2001 28 March 2014 13 years, 53 days Died while still in office 6 Timothy James Harris 3 May 2017 incumbent
Other priest of this diocese who became bishopEdit
- Francis Roberts Rush † , appointed Bishop of Rockhampton in 1960
- Townsville deanery with regular liturgical services held in Sacred Heart Cathedral, North Ward (St Joseph's), Cranbrook (Holy Spirit), Deeragun (St Anthony), Gulliver (Holy Family), Kirwan (The Good Shepherd), Magnetic Island (St Joan of Arc), Mundingburra (Blessed Mary MacKillop), Railway Estate (St Francis), South Townsville (St Patrick), West Townsville (St Mary), and Wulguru (St Joseph the Worker)
- Northern deanery with regular liturgical services held in Abergowrie (St Theresa), Halifax (St Peter), Ingham (St Patrick), and Palm Island (St Anne)
- Southern deanery with regular liturgical services held in Ayr (Sacred Heart), Bowen (St Mary), Burdekin Valley (St Joseph), Cannonvale (St Martin), Collinsville (Our Lady of Lourdes), Giru (St Joseph), Home Hill (St Colman), and Proserpine (St Catherine)
- Western deanery with regular liturgical services held in Charters Towers (St Columba), Cloncurry (St Colman), Hughenden (Sacred Heart), Julia Creek (Holy Rosary), McKinlay (Our Lady of the Way), Mount Isa (Good Shepherd), Richmond (St Brigid), and Winton (St Patrick)
Schools within the diocese include:
- "Diocese of Townsville". The Hierarchy of the Catholic Church. 20 February 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Diocesean profile: Parishes". Diocese of Townsville. 2009. Archived from the original on 20 November 2011. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Considering a Catholic school for your child?" (PDF). Catholic Education in the Diocese of Townsville. Retrieved 22 February 2014.