Rocco Silano is an American magician, author, and lecturer.
|Occupation||magician, author, lecturer|
Silano was born June 12, 1962, in Paterson, New Jersey. Early on in his career, Rocco studied with and was managed by sleight-of-hand expert and Tony Slydini protégé Bill Wisch. Later, Rocco was introduced to Slydini by Bill and Rocco took lessons with Slydini as well. "He (Bill Wisch) hooked me up with Tony Slydini. He was a student before I was with Slydini and he introduced me to him."In 1988, he invented a gable-top milk carton that could be more easily collapsed for disposal by removing a tear strip at the bottom of the carton.
Most known for his sleeving techniques and skill, Silano is the recipient of the Merlin and Golden Lion Awards, a two-time winner of the coveted Manhattan Association of Cabarets Award, and has been nominated nine times as Magician of the Year by the Academy of Magical Arts in four different categories.
Silano is the only American to win awards at two FISM World Tournaments: in 1994 in Yokohama, Japan, and "Most Original Act" in 2006 in Stockholm, Sweden. Silano performed at the 2007 Austrian Magic Convention in Vienna, Austria, and appeared in the VH1 celebrity magic reality series, Celebracadabra, in 2008, as an adviser and guide for celebrity partner and 1st runner-up, Hal Sparks.
- The Winning Edge: The Lecture of a Champion, with Bill Wisch, 1987
- If it fits...Sleeve it!, with Steve Schneiderman, 1990 ASIN B000NO7YZ2
- A Lesson in Sleeving
- Demaline, Jackie. (October 14, 1988) Times Union Abracadabra - It's Magic. Page C1.
- Burgess, Linda H. (February 22, 1989) The Record From soup to sleight of hand. Magician helps meals take off. Page C3.
- The Times-Picayune (April 27, 1990) Here tomorrow, gone today. Page L4.
- Yu, Winifred. (October 30, 1990) Times Union Colored doves are a magical illusion. Page C8.
- Kelly, Martin P. (November 2, 1990) Times Union Magicians create enchanted evening. Page C5.
- Mervis, Scott. (October 8, 1993) Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Festival of Italian arts. Page 3.
- Carney, Beth; Dezell, Maureen. (September 19, 1998) The Boston Globe Game of choice for Kearns Goodwin. Page C2.
- Times Union (October 28, 2007) My other life. Page D1.
- McMaster, Shawn. (March 2008) The Magazine for Magicians Celebracadabra: VH1's Magic Reality Series.