Rixensart is a Walloon municipality located in the Belgian province of Walloon Brabant. On January 1, 2006, Rixensart had a total population of 21,355. The total area is 17.54 km² which gives a population density of 1,217 inhabitants per km².
|• Mayor||Jean Vanderbecken (NAP-MR)|
|• Governing party/ies||NAP-MR|
|• Total||17.54 km2 (6.77 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
The municipality consists of the following former municipalities, now sub-municipalities: Rixensart proper, Rosières (Rozieren), and Genval. Genval-les-Bains is a local beauty spot, a 100-year-old lake with a fountain, and framed by trees, houses and restaurants. Rixensart is home to the beautiful private-owned Château de Rixensart.
Rixensart is served by two railway stations (at Rixensart and at Genval), connecting it with Brussels to the north and Louvain-la-Neuve to the south. The new arrival of the Brussels RER, will improve both train stations and upgrade the number of trains going from Brussels to Namur to 4 per hour. This will also bring more people to the municipality to live. The municipality is now classified as a commuter town due to its proximity to Brussels, the RER and the E411 Motorway.
- Lake Genval
- Bourgeois is a village located above the valley of the Lasne. It has a church and several small schools.
- Maubroux is a village has a number of small shops, a church and is located near Genval railway station.
- Le Patch
- Froidmont is an old farmhouse, which was until 2010 was a Dominican convent and was garrisoned during the Battle of Waterloo
- Le Glain is a village with a grammar school and a library.
- Genval is a village
Rixensart is home to Royale Union Rixensartoise football club. The club is on the rise, especially the youth teams. Swimming Club Rixensart is a swimming club. Since September 2017, Rixensart also has his Ultimate Frisbee Team which shows great results in national divisions, trusting the first division in the last years.
Rixensart is twinned with:
- "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Media related to Rixensart at Wikimedia Commons
|This Walloon Brabant location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|