Richard Lewis (tennis and rugby league)
Richard Lewis CBE
|Occupation||CEO Wimbledon Tennis|
|Known for||Chairman of the RFL|
Chair of the RLEF
Chair of Sport England
Director of Tennis, LTA
Professional Tennis player
He is currently chief executive of The AELTC (Championships) Limited, organiser and host of The Championships, Wimbledon. Lewis took up the post in 2012, having been executive chairman of the Rugby Football League since 2002. On 1 April 2009 he replaced Michael Farrar as chairman of Sport England.
Lawn Tennis AssociationEdit
After finishing his playing career, Lewis moved into sports administration joining the U.K. Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) in 1987, rising to become its director of tennis, but agreeing to leave his position in the wake of a 2000 loss to Ecuador that led to reduction of British tennis's status from "World" to "Euro-African Zone".
Rugby Football LeagueEdit
Lewis, it was claimed by then Widnes Vikings chairman Tony Chambers, showed his strong expansionist credentials in 2005 when he allegedly threatened to resign if Super League clubs did not back a plan to save London Broncos, although he denies this.
Under Lewis, plans for a Super League licensing system were introduced.
Following Nigel Wood's appointment as RFL Chief Executive in October 2007, Lewis's role increasingly focuses on developing rugby league in the UK and internationally.
In 2009, when Lewis took on the role of Chair of Sport England, his RFL title changed from Executive Chairman to Chairman.
All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, WimbledonEdit
In April 2012, Lewis was appointed Chief Executive Officer at Wimbledon following a successful career at the RFL and Chair of Sport England. He replaced Ian Ritchie, who in turn moved on to become chief executive of the Rugby Football Union. During his tenure, Lewis has led the AELTC through the announcement of the Wimbledon Master Plan, the launch of Wimbledon's first consumer-facing brand campaign, "In Pursuit of Greatness", and presided over significant growth of The Championships to become one of the world's biggest annual sporting events.
- "Richard Lewis has made his mark running the game", Telegraph, 11 June 2007
- "Lewis picks up league baton", BBC, 28 March 2002
- "Lewis named Sport England chief". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 20 February 2009. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- "About the RFL", The Rugby Football League, 13 May 2008
- "Lewis just had to go", BBC, 18 July 2000
- "Hagelauer given 'Pied Piper' role", The Telegraph, 19 July 2000
- "Multi-tasking Lewis a southerner happy to work at northern union", The Guardian, 1 June 2007
- "Lewis denies quit claim over Broncos vote", The Guardian, 8 March 2005
- "No. 60534". The London Gazette (Supplement). 15 June 2013. p. 8.
- "RFL chairman Richard Lewis appointed Wimbledon chief exec". BBC. Retrieved 26 September 2012.