Ricardo Eugênio Boechat (July 13, 1952 – February 11, 2019) was an Argentine-born Brazilian news anchor. He worked for newspapers such as O Globo, O Dia, O Estado de São Paulo and Jornal do Brasil. Before his death, he was active as a news director and radio anchor at BandNews FM and held a position as television anchor at Jornal da Band. Boechat won three Esso Journalism Awards. He entertained a weekly column at news magazine IstoÉ, and in 2002 authored the book Copacabana Palace.
Boechat in 2010
Ricardo Eugênio Boechat
July 13, 1952
|Died||February 11, 2019 (aged 66)|
|Cause of death||Politraumatic brain injury|
|Television||BandNews FM, Band TV|
Boechat began his career in 1970 as reporter at the newspapers O Estado de S. Paulo, Jornal do Brasil, and the now extinct Diário de Notícias. In 1983 went to the newspaper O Globo. In 1987 he served a six-month term as the Secretariat of Social Communication in the government of Moreira Franco (1987–1991). After fulfilling that commitment he returned to O Globo. At the same time, he began teaching at the College of the City of Rio de Janeiro, where he was involved in editing the monthly newsletter. He hosted a radio news program on BandNews FM, served as an anchor on the news program Jornal da Band, wrote a column for the newspaper O Dia in Rio de Janeiro, and a weekly column in the magazine Isto É.
Boechat voiced a jaguar newscaster in the Brazilian version of the American animated film Zootopia (Zootropolis). Other versions of Zootopia released in other countries use different newscaster characters.
Boechat was first married to Claudia Costa de Andrade and they had four children. He later married Veruska and they had two children.
Boechat died in a helicopter crash on February 11, 2019, near São Paulo, Brazil. Four days later, the Legal Medical Institute published that a politraumatic head injury caused the death of the journalist.
- "Esso Award" (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on June 21, 2015. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- "Boechat's Weekly Column in IstoÉ" (in Portuguese). Retrieved January 18, 2012.
- Root, Regina A. (2005). The Latin American Fashion Reader. Berg Publishers. p. 189. ISBN 978-1-85973-893-1. Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- Rodrigues, Artur; Gomes, Paulo. "Jornalista Ricardo Boechat morre em queda de helicóptero em SP". Folha de S. Paulo (in Portuguese). Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Jurgenfeld, Vanessa. "Pelas novas ondas do rádio". Observatório da Imprensa (in Portuguese). Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- "Ricardo Boechat: Brazil news anchor dies in helicopter crash". BBC News. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Loughrey, Clarisse. "Zootropolis' new anchors change animal depending on what country you're in." The Independent. March 7, 2016. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- "Jornalista Ricardo Boechat morre em queda de helicóptero em SP". Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese). February 11, 2019. Retrieved February 11, 2019.
- "Laudo do IMl revela a causa da morte de Boechat" (in Portuguese). Yahoo Notícias. February 15, 2019. Retrieved February 15, 2019.