|• Total||12.3 km2 (4.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||387 m (1,270 ft)|
|• Density||420/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (Central European Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (Central European Summer Time)|
|Surrounded by||Bülach, Eglisau, Hochfelden, Hohentengen am Hochrhein (DE-BW), Hüntwangen, Stadel bei Niederglatt, Weiach|
Glattfelden is first mentioned in 1130 as Glatevelden.
Glattfelden has an area of 12.3 km2 (4.7 sq mi). Of this area, 47.3% is used for agricultural purposes, while 32.1% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 17.5% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (3.1%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality includes the village of Glattfelden, located at the end of the Glatt valley, the communities of Zweidlen, Schachen and Rheinsfelden and the exclave of Neuhaus.
Glattfelden has a population (as of 31 December 2019) of 5,217. As of 2007[update], 18.3% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 18.1%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (86.5%), with Italian being second most common ( 3.7%) and Albanian being third ( 2.7%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 26.1% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 62.9% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 11%. In Glattfelden about 70.5% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Glattfelden has an unemployment rate of 2.72%. As of 2005[update], there were 69 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 27 businesses involved in this sector. 211 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 49 businesses in this sector. 395 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 95 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
Glattfelden is served by two railway stations:
- Glattfelden railway station is a stop of the Zurich S-Bahn, a 29 minute ride from Zürich Hauptbahnhof (on line S9). The station lies about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) east from the village, and has been built on territory belonging to the neighbor city of Bülach.
- Zweidlen railway station, on the other hand, is located on the territory of the municipality, but is some 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) to the west of the village. It is served by Zurich S-Bahn line S41, which connects Winterthur with Koblenz and does not directly serve Zurich.
- Gottfried Keller (1819–1890), Swiss author
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Glattfelden in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived January 5, 2016, at the Wayback Machine accessed 29-Jul-2009
- "Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit". bfs.admin.ch (in German). Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB. 31 December 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
- "S-Bahn trains, buses and boats" (PDF). ZVV. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 31, 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- map.geo.admin.ch (Map). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved 2012-01-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glattfelden.|