Reefton Power Station
Reefton Power Station supplied electricity to the town of Reefton in New Zealand and was the first power station to supply municipal electricity in the Southern Hemisphere. It started operation on 4 August 1888.
|Reefton Power Station|
The remains of the Reefton Power Station turbine room as seen in 2008
|Owner(s)||1888 – The Reefton Electrical Transmission of Power and Lighting Company Ltd |
1946 – Grey Electric Power Board
|Thermal power station|
|Primary fuel||Hydroelectric and steam|
The power station turbine was run by water supplied from the Inangahua River via two tunnels and a headrace flume. After the town was connected to the National Grid in 1949 the power station was decommissioned. The power house was demolished in 1961.
Parts of the original structure remain and are accessible via a walking track, and there are plans for restoration of the site. Stage 1 of this planned restoration was completed on April 11, 2015. This included new signage, riverbank preservation and walking track restoration.
|This article about a New Zealand power station is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|