Youth fair YOU, Berlin, October 2008
|Birth name||Rania Zeriri|
|Also known as||Rania|
|Born||January 6, 1986|
|Years active||2005 – present|
|Labels||Kontor Records, EMI|
Rania Zeriri grew up in the Netherlands as daughter of a Dutch mother and an Algerian father who left the family when she was still very young. After finishing school with a General Certificate of Secondary Education (Mittlere Reife) she moved at the age of 17 to Salamanca to study Spanish. Later she acquired a hotel animation diploma and than worked mainly on Ibiza and Fuerteventura where she also started to perform as singer in hotels. After she reached the Top 10 of the fifth season of the German television contest Deutschland sucht den Superstar (DSDS) she resigned from her job and moved to Gronau-Epe in Germany to live with her mother.
Zeriri was born with holes in her vocal cords. Her dark voice is the result of an operation which was necessary in order to close the inborn holes using laser treatment. This caused her difficulties to sing high notes and in the falsetto register.
After the DSDS show Zeriri performed throughout Germany and performed before the final of the European Football Championship at the fan area at the Brandenburg Gate, Berlin, in front of several hundred thousand visitors. Zeriris debut solo maxi single Crying Undercover was released on 14 November 2008 by the record label Kontor Records. The title song was written for the singer by Achim Jannsen, a writer who produced several cover-songs for Jan Wayne, together with the musician Claas P. Jambor, a member of the Zeichen der Zeit project. The CD contains also the song Cursed And Blessed written by Zeriri in 2006 and the video of the title song.
Although Rania Zeriri started the last phase of the competition as one of the favourites she received later controversial press coverage, especially from the German newspaper Bild. On April 24, 2008 Bild appeared with an article suggesting that contestants of the show might have used drugs in the dressing room area singling out Zeriri as potential culprit. However, the accusation was never proven and Zeriri made new headlines when she publicly voiced her opinion that a requested drug test should not only include the contestants but also the jury, openly stated her increasing discomfort in participating in the show and directly criticised the juror Dieter Bohlen.
- 2008 Fly Alone (joined release of all finale participants of Deutschland sucht den Superstar)
- 2008 Crying Undercover
- RTL Drama um die hübsche Rania Zeriri Archived 2008-09-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Westfälische Nachrichten
- Tubantia - De Twentsche Courant - Online issue 9. August 2010
- Stars2meet.de Archived 2008-09-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Deutscher Depeschendienst GmbH
- Böse Entertainment Veranstaltungsagentur Archived 2008-09-21 at the Wayback Machine
- Achim Jannsen discography Archived 2008-11-07 at Wikiwix
- Burgsee Kurier, October 2008
- Roccatune Magazin interview
- Drama um rauchige Stimme
- Drei Supertops drei Superflops
- Küsschen für Bohlen und 100 000 Euro Strafe für RTL
- Alle Superstars zum Drogentest?
- Ich gehe zum Drogen-Test ... aber nur, wenn die Jury mitmacht!
- Er will mich nur weg haben
- Zeriri räumt das DSDS Feld Die Welt