|Built||1100 to 1200 A.D.|
|Occupants||nobility, ministeriales, counts|
The ruins of the Ramburg stand on the Schlossberg ("castle hill") at a height of Ramberg in the Palatinate region. The river Dernbach, the left-hand headstream of the Eisbach) flows through the valley.above the village of
In 1519, Hans of Ramburg, the last member of the House of Ramburg, sold his castle to the Dalbergs. Six years later the castle was completely razed during the Peasants' War.
In 1540 the ruins were sold to the counts of Löwenstein. After being totally destroyed by a lightning strike in 1560 it was rebuilt as a residential castle again.
The castle was plundered during the Thirty Years' War, but not destroyed. Until 1638 it remained occupied as district office (Amtsitz), but fell into increasing disrepair and was used as a quarry in the early 18th century.
- Rolf Übel: Ramburg, Meistersel, Frankenburg, bei Ramburg Kreis Südliche Weinstraße. Verlag für Burgenkunde und Pfalzforschung, Landau, 1999, ISBN 3-929893-07-X (= Burgen der Südpfalz, Vol. 3)
- Alexander Thon (ed.): „... wie eine gebannte, unnahbare Zauberburg“. Burgen in der Südpfalz, 2nd revised edition, Regensburg, 2005, pp. 128–131. ISBN 3795415705
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ramburg.|
- Ramburg - Website of the municipality of Ramberg
- Panorama - view from the Ramburg of the Eußertal valley and surrounding area
- Photos of Ramburg Castle at Burgenparadies.de