R. Bruce Land
R. Bruce Land (born June 24, 1950) is an American Democratic Party politician who has represented the 1st Legislative District in the New Jersey General Assembly since he was sworn into office on January 12, 2016.
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly from the 1st District|
|Assumed office |
January 12, 2016
Serving with Matthew Milam
|Preceded by||Sam Fiocchi|
|Born||June 24, 1950|
|Branch/service||United States Army|
|Years of service||1969–1971|
|Unit||101st Airborne Division|
|Awards||Bronze Star (2)|
Land grew up in Millville, New Jersey and graduated from Millville Senior High School as part of the class of 1968. He was drafted to serve in the United States Army and was assigned to duty with the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam during the second year of his two-year enlistment from 1969 to 1971, and was twice awarded the Bronze Star during the Vietnam War. Land attended Cumberland County College, where he majored in business marketing. Land had worked in management of a department store in Vineland. He made a career change and began working for the New Jersey Department of Corrections, assigned to Bayside State Prison in Leesburg and South Woods State Prison in Bridgeton until his retirement in March 2008 with the rank of captain.
New Jersey AssemblyEdit
Land ran as a team with Democratic incumbent Assemblyman Bob Andrzejczak, and won his first bid for elected office, defeating Republican incumbent Sam Fiocchi and his running mate Jim Sauro. Land and Andrzejczak spent four times as much as their opponents and were supported by $1.5 million in independent advertising that claimed that Fiocchi had not paid taxes.
Land voted against raising the states minimum wage to $15 an hour alongside Bruce Land.
- Homeland Security and State Preparedness 
- Military and Veterans' Affairs
- Tourism, Gaming and the Arts
- Regulated Professions
New Jersey's 1st Legislative District encompasses parts of Atlantic County, New Jersey, Cumberland County, New Jersey, and all of Cape May County, New Jersey. The current representatives from the 1st district to the 218th New Jersey Legislature are:
|Democratic||Bruce Land (Incument)|
|Democratic||Matthew Milam (Incumbent)|
|Democratic||Bob Andrzejczak (Incumbent)||32,554||31.2||3.3|
|Democratic||Bruce Land (Incumbent)||30,938||29.7||3.3|
|Republican||Robert G. Campbell||20,250||19.4||3.8|
|Democratic||Bob Andrzejczak (Incumbent)||20,231||27.9||0.7|
|Republican||Sam Fiocchi (Incumbent)||16,818||23.2||1.8|
- Miller, Michael. "Andrzejczak, newcomer Land win in 1st District", The Press of Atlantic City, November 3, 2015. Accessed June 5, 2017. "The Assembly race saw $1.5 million in Democratic political action committee cash for a TV campaign alleging Fiocchi was delinquent in paying his taxes. As of October 21, the Democratic candidates had outspent the Republicans four-to-one, according to campaign finance reports."
- Smith, Joseph P. "2015 Election: 1st Legislative District Democrats", The Daily Journal (New Jersey), October 28, 2015. Accessed August 18, 2016. "A 1968 Millville high school graduate, Land was drafted in 1969 for a two-year hitch. He was sent to Vietnam in his second year, starting as a squad leader and then platoon leader for his last seven months."
- "Legislature passes minimum wage bill". Retrieved May 24, 2019.
- "Assemblyman R. Bruce Land (D)". Wayback Machine. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "NJ general Assembly 01". Retrieved July 5, 2019.
- "Official List, Candidates for General Assembly For GENERAL ELECTION 11/07/2017 Election" (PDF). Secretary of State of New Jersey. November 29, 2017. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- "Official List, Candidates for General Assembly for GENERAL ELECTION 11/03/2015 Election" (PDF). Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Assemblyman Land's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
|New Jersey General Assembly|
| Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 1st District
January 12, 2016 – Present
With: Bob Andrzejczak, Matthew W. Milam