Rösrath (German pronunciation: [ˈʁøːsˌʁaːt], Ripuarian: Röhsroth [ˈʁœs²ˌʁɔt²]) is a city in the Rheinisch-Bergischer Kreis (district) in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The earliest known documents mentioning the settlement Rösrath can be found in documents dated to 1356. There have been findings of Paleolithic and Mesolithic tools in the city area Forsbach. The community was elevated to city status in 2001.
|• Mayor||Marcus Mombauer (CDU)|
|• Total||38.81 km2 (14.98 sq mi)|
|Elevation||71 - 260 m (−782 ft)|
|• Density||740/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Rösrath is located in the immediate vicinity of Cologne. The municipal area of Rösrath is bordering on the south-eastern city limits of Cologne. Therefore from Cologne's point of view Rösrath is called a Gateway to the Berg region (Bergisches Land). The municipal area partly extends over the nature reserves of the Wahner Heide and Königsforst.
The Coat of Arms of RösrathEdit
The coat of arms of Rösrath consists of two areas:
- The upper area shows the red lion of Berg with blue crown, tongue and claws. The lion appears in most of the coats of arms in the district of the Rheinisch-Bergischer Kreis.
- The lower area shows a hunting horn with a green background. It symbolizes the Königsforst, in former times a popular hunting district of the earls of Berg.
Landmark of RösrathEdit
The gateway of Eulenbroich castle is virtually the landmark of Rösrath. This gateway to the Berg region (Bergisches Land) is used as logo on the letterheads and internet pages of the town council.
Elections in May 2014
|Mayors||Start of office||End of office||Party||comments|
|Franz Leyhausen||August 1878||June 1905|
|Max Haumann||October 1905||March 1931|
|Max Steinsträßer||April 1931||April 1945|
|Gottfried Fuhrmann||May 1945||February 1946||CDU|
|Robert Vierkötter||March 1946||October 1946||SPD|
|Josef Arens||November 1946||March 1947||CDU|
|Wilhelm Beinhoff||April 1947||October 1948||CDU|
|Paul Leibner||November 1948||December 1950||SPD|
|Günther Runkel||February 1951||November 1951||FDP|
|Kurt Adenauer||December 1951||December 1954||CDU|
|Erwin Schiffbauer||January 1955||April 1963||SPD|
|Matthias Großmann||May 1963||October 1964||CDU|
|Erwin Schiffbauer||November 1964||February 1972||SPD|
|Siegfried Tews||March 1972||April 1975||SPD|
|Karlheinz Krakau||May 1975||September 1989||CDU|
|Dieter Happ||October 1989||November 2008||SPD||First full-time mayor since October 1, 1999|
|Marcus Mombauer||December 2008||in office||CDU|
Cologne is well known as a "stronghold" of German carnival with its famous carnival parade on the Monday before Strove Tuesday. Rösrath isn't too far away from Cologne. Also in Rösrath a Rose Monday Parade is organized every year. The parade isn't as big as in Cologne, but the foolishness is just as wild as in the neighbouring large town.
Personalities connected with the townEdit
- Chris Howland (1928-2013), entertainer, actor and author, lived in Rosrath
- Wolfgang Bochow (born 1944), badminton player, European champion in Badminton Men's Singles 1972
- Rainer Brüninghaus (born 1949), German jazz pianist and composer, has been living in Rösrath since 1976
- Anke Engelke (born 1965), actor and comedian, graduated from the Freiherr-vom-Stein-Schule in Rösrath in 1984
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2018" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- "Parteien in Rösrath: Weiteres Mitglied hat die AfD verlassen". Kölner Stadtanzeiger (in German). 2015-02-08. Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- "Erfolg der Rechtspopulisten: die AfD im Hamburger Landtag" (in German). Frontal 21. 2015-02-18. Archived from the original (flv) on 2015-06-04. Retrieved 2015-03-10. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Chronik der Bürgermeister von Rösrath ab 1945 auf www.roesrath.de