Quanta Magazine is an editorially independent online publication of the Simons Foundation covering developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences.
Type of site
The articles in the magazine are freely available to read online. Several publications like Scientific American, Wired,, The Atlantic, and The Washington Post, as well as international science publications like Spektrum der Wissenschaft, have reprinted articles from Quanta Magazine. Undark Magazine described Quanta Magazine as "highly regarded for its masterful coverage of complex topics in science and math." The science news aggregator RealClearScience ranked Quanta Magazine No. 1 on its list of "The Top 10 Websites for Science in 2018." Initially launched as Simons Science News in October 2012, it was renamed to its current title in July 2013. Quanta was founded by the former New York Times journalist Thomas Lin, who is the magazine's first editor-in-chief. Quanta's two deputy editors are John Rennie (editor) and Michael Moyer, formerly of Scientific American. Notable writers include K.C. Cole, Robbert Dijkgraaf, Dan Falk, Kevin Hartnett, Erica Klarreich, George Musser, Jennifer Ouellette, Frank Wilczek, Natalie Wolchover and Carl Zimmer. On 2 May 2017 Quanta launched its redesigned and rebranded magazine website. In November 2018, MIT Press published two collections of Quanta articles, Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire and The Prime Number Conspiracy.
- "About Quanta Magazine". Quanta Magazine. Simons Foundation.
- "Quanta Magazine". Press release. London Mathematical Society. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Stories by Quanta Magazine". Scientific American. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- "Quanta Magazine". Wired. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- "Quanta Magazine". Spektrum der Wissenschaft. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Hard-Sciences Magazine Goes to the Next Level". Undark Magazine. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "The Top 10 Websites for Science in 2018". RealClearScience. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "A Magazine or a Living Fossil?". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- Thomas Lin. "Simons Science News Is Renamed Quanta Magazine". Quanta Magazine. Simons Foundation. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- Carl Zimmer. "My New Story for Scientific American & Quanta Magazine". National Geographic. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Thomas Lin". Quanta Magazine. Simons Foundation. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Reinventing The Boundaries of Science Journalism". Psychology Today. Retrieved 16 June 2014.
- "Quanta Magazine's Thomas Lin Spends His Days 'Illuminating Science'". The Observer. Retrieved 20 May 2016.
- Lin, Thomas (2017-05-02). "The New Familiar Quanta". Quanta Magazine. Retrieved 2017-05-06.
- "Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire: The Biggest Ideas in Science from Quanta". MIT Press. 2018-11-20.
- "The Prime Number Conspiracy: The Biggest Ideas in Math from Quanta". MIT Press. 2018-11-20.