This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Town hall by the market square
|• Mayor||Matthias Brüggemann (CDU)|
|• Total||17.95 km2 (6.93 sq mi)|
|Elevation||24 m (79 ft)|
|• Density||750/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Quakenbrück has a professional basketball team, the Artland Dragons.
Temperate coastal climate is affected by damp NW winds from the North Sea. The long term average air temperature in Quakenbrück is 8.5–9.0 °C (47.3–48.2 °F) with an average rainfall of 700 mm (28 in). Between May and August, there are about 20–25 days during which temperatures may reach over 25 °C (77 °F).
On 29 May 1916, a nail man made from French poplar was given to the city by Clemens Freiherr von Schorlemer-Lieser and placed in the meeting room of the town hall. Revenue from the statue, which depicted a 13th-14th-century knight clad in armor and holding a shield and a sword and has come to be known as the Quakenbrück iron Knight (Quakenbrücker Eiserne Burgmann), were used to fuel the war effort. The statue was built by two soldiers from Schorlemer's Battalion.
- till 1968: Aloys Geers (SPD)
- 1968–1972: Karl Möller (CDU)
- 1972–1979: Horst Magnus (CDU)
- 1979–1988: Werner Korfhage (FDP)
- 1988–1991: Jürgen Gadeberg (SPD)
- 1991–2000: Klaus Alves (CDU)
- 2000–2011: Wolfgang Becker (CDU)
- 2011–2014: Claus Peter Poppe (SPD)
- 2014–2016: Paul Gärtner (SPD)
- seit 2016 Matthias Brüggemann (CDU)
Sons and daughters of the townEdit
- Dietrich Hermann Hegewisch (1746-1812), historian
- Heinrich Beythien (1873-1952), economist and politician, Reichstag deputy. 1936 excluded from the NSDAP.
- Wilhelm Martin (1876-1954), art historian, 1909-1945 director of the Mauritshuis, The Hague, professor of art history at Leiden University
- Enno Patalas (1929–2018), film historian and critic
- Justus Haucap (born 1969), a leading German economist, professor at University of Düsseldorf
- Christian Brand (born 1972), former Werder Bremen player and current FC Luzern manager
- Cinta Laura (born 1993), Indonesian actress
Quakenbrück has one sister city, “Conway, Arkansas, United States”. The agreement was set in 1985.
Personalities who have worked in the placeEdit
- Wilhelm Bendow (1884-1950), actor, was 1905/06 pupil of the Realgymnasium.
- Holger Czukay (1938–2017), musician, became internationally known as a band member of Can, was a music teacher at the Artland High School in Quakenbrück.
- Friedrich Ebert (1871-1925), Politician (SPD), worked in the spring of 1891 in Quakenbrück in a saddlery.
- Klaus von Klitzing (* 1943), Nobel laureate for physics on the subject of Quantum Hall Effect in 1985, left his Abitur in Quakenbrück in 1962. After him is named a street of the city.
- Claus Peter Poppe (* 1948), politician and member of the Lower Saxony Landtag, who was headmaster of the Artland-Gymnasium in Quakenbrück from 1995 to 2003.
- Hans-Gert Pöttering (* 1945), CDU politician and president of the European Parliament, is a graduate of the Artland Gymnasium.
- Landesamt für Statistik Niedersachsen, LSN-Online Regionaldatenbank, Tabelle 12411: Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes, Stand 31. Dezember 2018.
- Heiko Bockstiegel: Der Eiserne Burgmann im Rathaussaal zu Quakenbrück. in: Heimat-Jahrbuch Osnabrücker Land 1980, S. 54ff.