Producing Adults (Finnish: Lapsia ja aikuisia – kuinka niitä tehdään?) (Children and Adults – How To Make Them?) is a 2004 Finnish comedy-drama written by Pekko Pesonen and directed by Aleksi Salmenperä. It was Finland's official Academy Award submission for Best Foreign Language Film of 2004.
|Original title||Lapsia ja aikuisia – kuinka niitä tehdään?|
|Directed by||Aleksi Salmenperä|
|Screenplay by||Pekko Pesonen|
|Music by||Timo Hietala|
|Edited by||Kimmo Taavila|
The film deals with the myriad complications arising from Venla's (Minna Haapkylä) desire to have a child. Her longtime boyfriend Antero (Kari-Pekka Toivonen) is reluctant, fearing that fatherhood will imperil his last chance to succeed in his speed skating career and by seeing his friend go through fatherhood. Antero does some extreme things to avoid getting Venla pregnant and she begins to be equally devious in her attempts to conceive. Venla seeks help from her bisexual co-worker at a fertility clinic and the relationship between the two begins to blossom amongst many setbacks.
Producing Adults was shot on one camera in 40 days, on a budget of $1,200,000 euros.
The film was released in Sweden as Hela vägen (All the Way) on 26 November 2004.
Variety described Producing Adults as "small but charming" and with a lesbian theme that "comes gradually and naturally into the story which never succumbs to the men-are-bad, women-are-fine cliche." AfterEllen said that "While we all adore a good coming out story ... sometimes it's nice to see a more realistic look at romance in all of its heartbreaking complexity." The Hollywood Reporter praised it as "an insightful, well-acted film."
Minttu Mustakallio won "Best Supporting Actress" at the 2005 Jussi Awards (Finland's main film industry awards). Aleksi Salmenperä won the FIPRESCI Prize at the Stockholm Film Awards.
- Neiiendam, Jacob (20 September 2004). "Finland submits Producing Adults as 2004 Oscar entry". ScreenDaily. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Hernandez, Eugene (22 October 2004). "49 Countries Submit Films for Foreign Language Oscar Consideration". IndieWire. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Asarnoj, Nina (26 November 2004). "Ny finsk film Hela vägen - om längtan efter barn". Sveriges Radio (in Swedish). Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Producing Adults". Wolfe Video. 2005. Archived from the original on 19 August 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Rizzo III, Francis (18 July 2005). "Producing Adults". DVD Talk. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Upcoming DVD and Blu-ray releases from Peccadillo Pictures". Cine Outsider. 10 February 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Rehlin, Gunnar (19 September 2004). "Producing Adults". Variety. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Moore, Candace (24 December 2004). "Review of Producing Adults". AfterEllen. Archived from the original on 7 March 2005. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Linden, Sheri (22 December 2004). "Producing Adults". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 6 May 2007. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Belge, Kathy (2005). "Producing Adults". About.com. Archived from the original on 16 January 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2007. (Wolfe Video DVD review)
- "Lapsia ja aikuisia - kuinka niitä tehdään?". MTV Internet (in Finnish). 16 September 2004. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Pepus, Chris (6 June 2005). "Producing Adults". CultureVulture. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Official website (Archive)
- Lapsia ja aikuisia – Producing Adults at BBFC
- Lapsia ja aikuisia – kuinka niitä tehdään? at BFI
- Producing Adults (Lapsia ja aikuisia – kuinka niitä tehdään?) at Finnish Film Foundation (Archive)
- Lapsia ja aikuisia – Kuinka niitä tehdään? at LUMIERE
- Lapsia ja aikuisia at Swedish Film Institute
- Producing Adults on IMDb
- Producing Adults at AllMovie
|This article related to Finnish film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|