Priekulė (pronunciation (help·info), German: Prökuls) is a small town in Klaipėda District Municipality, Lithuania. It is located on the banks of Minija River about 20 kilometres (12 mi) south of Klaipėda. Priekulė is the seat of Priekulė elderate. Priekulė was part of East Prussia for most of its history and, as part of the Klaipėda Region, became part of Lithuania in 1923–1939 and after World War II in 1945.
Main street toward Klaipėda
|Ethnographic region||Lithuania Minor|
|Municipality||Klaipėda District Municipality|
|Capital of||Priekulė eldership|
|First mentioned||16th century|
|Granted city rights||1948|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Priekulė's name is known since the first half of the 16th century. At first it was named Paminia (at river Minia), and it was a small village with three homesteads. In 1511, a tavern "zur Minnige" is mentioned in written sources. In 1540, a certain Lukas Preckol is an owner of the tavern. It is believed that the town name was derived from Preckol's last name. The name "Precols" was recorded on region maps in 1548. A church was built in 1587 and a teacher was hired in 1594.
In 1609 during the Polish–Swedish War (1600–1611), regiments of the Polish–Lithuanian cavalry plundered the town. In 1688 minister Wilhelm Martin built a new church. In 1905 the village, now known as Prökuls, had 500 residents who were mostly Protestant Lutherans and mainly spoke the Memelland-Samogitian dialect.
There is St. Anthony of Padua Church, built in 1938. In the city park grows a centuries-old oak, that is preserved as monument of nature. In the city there is a monument to Lithuanian writer Ieva Simonaitytė. Her cottage is turned into memorial museum (established in 1984). Estates of the forefathers of philosopher Immanuel Kant (1724–1804) were located in Kantvainai (Kantweinen) in the vicinity of Priekulė.
- Mortensen, Hans und Gertrud: Kants väterliche Ahnen und ihre Umwelt, Rede von 1952 in Jahrbuch der Albertus-Universität zu Königsberg / Pr., Holzner- Verlag Kitzingen/ Main 1953 Bd. 3
- Sembritzki, Johannes: Geschichte des Kreises Memel, Memel 1918
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Priekulė.|