Presses Universitaires de France
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country of origin||France|
|Publication types||Books, Journals|
Recent company historyEdit
The financial and legal structure of the Presses Universitaires de France were completely restructured in 2000 and the original cooperative structure was abandoned. Companies that took stakes in PUF included Flammarion Publishing (17% in 2000, 18% currently) and insurer Maaf Assurances (9%, 8% currently). In 2006, another insurance giant Garantie Mutuelle des Fonctionnaires (GMF) injected capital into the PUF, taking a 16,4% stake in the publisher. A similar tendency toward the constitution of an oligopoly has been observed by French newspapers, with titles like Le Monde, Libération or even L'Humanité accepting to turn themselves toward private financing.
Almost all French students know the collection Que sais-je? (a quote from Montaigne: "What do I know?"), created in 1941 by Paul Angoulvent. The collection is based on a unique format of 128 pages, in which specialists are invited to ruminate a specific theme. Today, there are close to 4,000 titles, by 2,500 authors, constituting the world's largest paperback encyclopedia covering a broad range of subjects. Many of the titles have been translated into up to forty-three languages, while the PUF have sold around 160 million books (2004 figures) since first published. Its ISSN number is 0768-0066.
- Bibliothèque de philosophie contemporaine
- L'écologie en questions
- Éducation et société
- Éthique et philosophie morale
- Intervention philosophique
- Le lien social
- Lignes d'art
- Le Nœud gordien
- Nouvelle Clio
- Perspectives critiques
- Que sais-je?
- Science, histoire, société
- Sociologie d'aujourd'hui
- La Vie des Idées
- J.-C. F., "Flammarion au secours des Presses Universitaires de France", Les Echos, lesechos.fr. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Les Presses Universitaires de France accueillent la GMF dans leur capital", Les Echos, no. 19378, 26 August 2006, p. 22. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Que sais-je?" book series list, publishinghistory.com. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- (in French) Official website