Preetz (German pronunciation: [ˈpʁeːts]) is a town southeast of Kiel in the district of Plön, in Schleswig-Holstein, Northern Germany. Preetz is also known as "Schusterstadt" (English: 'shoemaker town') named after shoemakers who used to live and work in this town[citation needed]. Preetz has a population of about 16,000 and is the largest city in the district of Plön.

Preetz
Coat of arms of Preetz
Coat of arms
Location of Preetz within Plön district
Preetz in PLOE.png
Preetz is located in Germany
Preetz
Preetz
Preetz is located in Schleswig-Holstein
Preetz
Preetz
Coordinates: 54°14′12″N 10°16′56″E / 54.23667°N 10.28222°E / 54.23667; 10.28222Coordinates: 54°14′12″N 10°16′56″E / 54.23667°N 10.28222°E / 54.23667; 10.28222
CountryGermany
StateSchleswig-Holstein
DistrictPlön
Government
 • MayorBjörn Demmin
Area
 • Total14.4 km2 (5.6 sq mi)
Elevation
24 m (79 ft)
Population
 (2019-12-31)[1]
 • Total15,952
 • Density1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)
Time zoneCET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes
24211
Dialling codes04342
Vehicle registrationPLÖ
Websitewww.preetz.de

GeographyEdit

Preetz is located in a hilly area referred to as the Holsteinische Schweiz (Holstein Switzerland) with a number of lakes and forests surrounding the town.

Lakes include the Postsee, Lanker See and the smaller Kirchsee in the centre of town, which forms part of the river Schwentine. There are multiple nature reserves around Preetz that attract tourists and locals alike for biking and hiking, especially in the summer months.

HistoryEdit

 
Preetz around 1895

The first mention of Preetz dates from the year 1185, when Ecbrecht Procensis writes about the location Poretz in the Versus de Vicelino. The origins of the name Preetz are said to be found in the Slavic term "po rece" (i.e., on the river). In 1221, the term "Poretzie" appeared, and in 1442 "Pretze".

A first town church was built in 1210. In 1211, Count Albrecht von Orlamünde established a Benedictine monastery: Preetz Priory. The foundation of the abbey was renewed by Adolf IV von Schauenburg in 1226, and it was given to nuns. In 1268, the nunnery church was built. The nunnery formed the highest administrative authority until 1867 and exercised jurisdiction as well.

Preetz obtained street lighting in 1852. The station was built in 1864, the Council Hall in 1871. An oak tree in front of the Council Hall, which was planted in 1871, still exists.

Limited city rights were awarded to Preetz on 17 May 1870, full city rights in 1901.

PoliticsEdit

 
Council Hall from 1871

MayorsEdit

  • 1946–1946: Paul Schön
  • 1946–1959: Max Grothe
  • 1959–1971: Heinrich Niendorf
  • 1971–1982: Bendix Herrmann
  • 1982–1991: Claus Feddersen
  • 1992–1999: Walter Riecken
  • 1999–2015: Wolfgang Schneider
  • since 2015: Björn Demmin

Coat of armsEdit

The fish in the top part is meant to show the past's principal source of food. Displayed is a Percidae. This kind of fish is known for its defensive traits and is meant to show the defensive traits the population of Preetz has.

Twin townsEdit

Preetz is twinned with:

PersonalitiesEdit

 
Karl August Genzken (1946/1947)

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ "Statistikamt Nord – Bevölkerung der Gemeinden in Schleswig-Holstein 4. Quartal 2019 (XLS-file)". Statistisches Amt für Hamburg und Schleswig-Holstein (in German).
  2. ^ "Dorset Twinning Association List". The Dorset Twinning Association. Archived from the original on 21 June 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2013.

Further readingEdit

  • Peter Pauselius: Preetz unter dem Hakenkreuz, Großbarkau: Ed. Barkau, 2001, ISBN 3-928326-29-5.
  • Peter Pauselius: Dokumentation über die Kriegsgefangenen, Fremd- und Ostarbeiter in Preetz 1939-1946, in: Francia, 25/3, 1998, S.286ff., ISBN 3-928326-12-0.
  • Stadt Preetz (editor): Preetz: Landschaft, Mensch, Kultur, Großbarkau: Ed. Barkau, 2000, ISBN 3-928326-24-4.
  • Stadt Preetz (editor) (Text: Wilhelm Stölting): Preetz, Lebensbild einer holsteinischen Stadt, Preetz: Stadt Preetz, 1970.