The Narrows Bridge
is a freeway crossing of the Swan River
, Western Australia
, at The Narrows between Mill Point and Mount Eliza
. Made up of two road bridges and a railway bridge, it connects the Mitchell
and Kwinana Freeways
, linking the city's northern and southern suburbs. The original road bridge was opened in 1959 and was the largest precast prestressed concrete
bridge in the world. Construction of the northern interchange for this bridge necessitated the reclamation
of a large amount of land from the river.
The bridge formed part of the Kwinana Freeway which originally ran for only 2.4 miles (3.9 km). Over the following decades, the freeway system was expanded to the north and south, greatly increasing the volume of traffic using the bridge. As a result, in 2001, a duplicate traffic bridge was opened to the west of the original bridge, and in 2005, the railway bridge was constructed in the gap between the two traffic bridges. Passenger trains first traversed the Narrows in 2007 with the opening of the Mandurah Railway Line.