Plau am See
Plau am See
Lock and former mill
|Municipal assoc.||Plau am See|
|• Mayor||Norbert Reier (Left)|
|• Total||115.99 km2 (44.78 sq mi)|
|Elevation||70 m (230 ft)|
|• Density||52/km2 (140/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Around 1235 the city was called Plawe, that being the Polabian field name for the place where rafting is practiced. The name lasted until the 16th century and was then written according to its German phonetic form Plau. On 11 January 1994, the name of the city was modified by the addition of am See (on Sea) to confusion with the similarly named towns of Plaue, Plauen and Plaue.
At the edge of town, there is a protected forest habitat named Plauer Stadtwald (literally: Plau city forest). Among the sights in town are a historic church building, the ruins of the Burg Plau castle and a bridge that may be vertically lifted to allow boats on the channel below to pass through.
- Anna of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1484-1525), by marriage Landgravine of Hesse.
- Friedrich Lange (1834-1875), German artist and painter
- Friedrich Bohndorff (1848-after 1894), German researcher and ornithologist
- Alfred Brunswig (1877-1927), German philosopher
- Peter Paetzold (born 1935), German chemist
Media related to Plau am See at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (in German)
|This Ludwigslust-Parchim location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|