Pind Dadan Khan
Pind Dadan Khan
پنڈ دادن خان
|Pind Dadan Khan|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
|Number of Union councils||1|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
It is located at 32°35'16N 73°2'44E on the bank of River Jhelum, about 24 kilometres east from the M2 motorway and 85 kilometres from jhelum. Pind Dadan Khan lies 6 km south of Khewra Salt Mine (or Mayo Salt Mine), 24 km east of the Lillah-Toba interchange of M2 motorway and 8 km east north of Pither Nadi. Its borders with Khushab, Chakwal, Sargodha and Mandibahudin.
During British rule, it became the headquarters of the subdivision and tehsil of the same name in the Jhelum District of the British Punjab. It was on the Sind-Sagar branch of the North-Western Railway. The municipality was created in 1867 and most of the income collected by the British authorities was by octroi.
The population according to the 1901 census was 13,770. It was formerly the dépot to which salt was brought from the Mayo Mine, from which it was carried across the river to the railway; but the bridging of the Jhelum at Haranpur and the extension of the railway to Khewra have by-passed. In earlier days, brass vessels were made in the town and there was a considerable weaving industry. Embroidered luugis were often sold at high prices. Boat-building was a source of skilled employment, and river boats of Pind Dadan Khan make were in request throughout the whole course of the Jhelum. However, after the construction of Mangla Dam to strengthen the irrigation system of the country as part of the Indus Basin Project, there is now diminished water flow[quantify] in the river Jhelum except during the flooded season. Manufactured products included glazed pottery of a deep red color, ornamented with black patterns and remarkably strong and of good quality was a speciality of the town, as well as stout leathern riding-whips made after English patterns.
Nandana a village near Pind Dadan Khan is the place where Abu Rayhan Muhammad ibn Ahmad Al-Biruni came and he established a laboratory there which is still present there. Alberuni calculated the diameter of earth in that laboratory during his lifetime, now the laboratory seriously needs some interest by the govt of Pakistan as it is not look aftered and the building is vanishing day by day. if soon necessary care will not be given there will be no sign of great work by Alberuni However, skilled artisans have left the area.
This section does not cite any sources. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
During the colonial era the town had a high school. Within the city limits of Pind Dadan Khan, there are one government degree college for boys and one government degree college for girls already established and running. There is also one College of Technology in the government sector and has stated admission for three years Diploma course. Classes are started in this college.Many other private colleges are also there.A number of private schools are there to provide quality education to the residents of the area. Almost 80% peoples are educated and increasing day by day.
A Tehsil Headquarter Hospital is maintained by the Ministry of Health. There are many private hospitals with almost all the required facilities.
Dominant source of incomeEdit
Agriculture and salt are the usual source of income. In addition to this, two cement factories are a major source of income for the locals.
The language spoken in Pind Dadan Khan tehsil is Lahnda based Punjabi with blend of many diaclects such as Saraiki, Wanhari, Pothohari and Lunhari.
There is a railway station, which facilitates inexpensive travel. The train passes through a bridge known as Victoria Bridge through which the train passes through 3 districts in 1 to 2 minutes.