|• Mayor||Stefan Martus|
|• Total||50.56 km2 (19.52 sq mi)|
|Elevation||100 m (300 ft)|
|• Density||270/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Before 1632, Philippsburg was known as "Udenheim".
The city was a possession of the Bishop of Speyer from 1371–1718. The town is named after Philipp Christoph von Sötern, who was bishop from 1610–1652. It was ruled by France between 1644 and 1676 and again between 1688 and 1697. The city became part of the Grand Duchy of Baden in 1803.
Historically, possession of the town was disputed between Germany and France. Formerly, there was a fortress located at the town, whose location was mentioned by Carl von Clausewitz. In Book VI of On War, he suggested that "If a fortress cannot be located directly on a river, it is better not to place it in the immediate vicinity, but some fifty to sixty miles away; otherwise the river will cut through and interfere with its sphere of influence with respect to all the points mentioned above." He then mentions in a footnote "Philippsburg was a perfect example of how not to site a fortress. Its location was that of an idiot standing with his nose against the wall.". The fortress was besieged in 1688 and 1734.
- Franz Burda (1903-1986), publisher
- "Bevölkerung nach Nationalität und Geschlecht am 31. Dezember 2018". Statistisches Landesamt Baden-Württemberg (in German). July 2019.
- On War, Book VI, Chapter 11, p.483, Carl von Clausewitz, translated by Michael Howard and Peter Paret ISBN 0-679-42043-6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philippsburg.|
- Encyclopædia Britannica. 21 (11th ed.). 1911. p. 400. .
- Official website (in German)
- http://www.clausewitz.com/CWZHOME/VomKriege2/BK6ch11.html[permanent dead link] - Note that this is a link to the free, outdated 1873 translation of On War
- Translation of German Wikipedia article, which is much more complete