Philip John Hesketh Anglican priest. Since June 2016, he has served as the Dean of Rochester, the head of the chapter of Rochester Cathedral and the most senior priest in the Diocese of Rochester.(born 15 November 1964) is a British
|Dean of Rochester|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Rochester|
|In office||June 2016 to present|
|Ordination||1994 (deacon) |
|Birth name||Philip John Hesketh|
|Born||15 November 1964|
Southport, Lancashire, England
Sugina Hesketh (m. 1989)
|Education||St Ninian's High School, Douglas|
|Alma mater||King's College London |
Ripon College Cuddesdon
Early life and educationEdit
Hesketh was born on 15 November 1964 in Southport, Lancashire, England. He was brought up on the Isle of Man, and educated at St Ninian's High School, Douglas. In 1983, he moved to London and matriculated into King's College London to study divinity. He graduated in 1986 with a Bachelor of Divinity (BD) degree and the Associateship of King's College (AKC) qualification. In 1992, he entered Ripon College Cuddesdon, an Anglican theological college, to train for ordained ministry. During this time he also undertook postgraduate research at his old college, and graduated with a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree from King's College, London in 1984.
Hesketh was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1994 and as a priest in 1995. From 1994 to 1998, he served his curacy at Holy Cross Church, Bearsted in the Diocese of Canterbury. Then, from 1998 to 2005, he was Vicar of St Stephen's Church, Chatham in the Diocese of Rochester.
In 2005, Hesketh was appointed a Canon Residentiary of Rochester Cathedral. When Mark Beach resigned as dean in January 2015, Hesketh was appointed acting-dean. On 26 February 2016, it was announced that he would be the next Dean of Rochester. He was installed as dean at Rochester Cathedral during a service on 19 June 2016.
He was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of Kent in 2019.
- "Dean of Rochester: Philip John Hesketh". GOV.UK. Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street. 26 February 2016. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Philip John Hesketh". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- Freeman, Clare (26 February 2016). "Canon Philip Hesketh named as new Dean of Rochester Cathedral". kentonline.co.uk. Kent Online. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Hesketh, Philip John". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2019 (1 December 2018 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 27 January 2019. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Who's Who at the Cathedral". rochestercathedral.org. Dean and Chapter of Rochester. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Resignations and retirements". The Church Times. 30 January 2015. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "New Dean for Rochester Cathedral". rochester.anglican.org. Diocese of Rochester. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- Rochester Cathedral — New Dean (Accessed 26 February 2016)
- "Installation of new Dean". rochestercathedral.org. Dean and Chapter of Rochester. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- Lieutenancy of Kent appoints seven new deputies