This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Old town hall
|• Mayor||Patrick Koch (SPD)|
|• Total||42.53 km2 (16.42 sq mi)|
|Elevation||103 m (338 ft)|
|• Density||590/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The town was first mentioned in 785 as property of the Monastery of Lorsch and got its town rights in 1886 due to its railway station. It is situated just west of the Odenwald hills, one of the closest being Frankenstein with its castle ruin of monstrous fame (Mary Shelley) on its summit. It is said, Shelley used the name after asking a sailor on a Rhine trip to tell her the name of "this yonder castle".
The historical town hall is the centre of the old part of the town, which in 1664 was being developed with a view to allowing the river Modau to flow above ground as basis for a promenade.
Pfungstadt is most famous today for its beer, Pfungstädter, which can be found all over Germany. The Brewery has a long history. Other aspects of the town: the swimming pool was known far and wide, with a modern wave generation feature which was loved by young and old. The city had to close the pool due to a lack of funds required for major maintenance projects.
In 1973, the town hosted the 13th Hessentag state festival.
Pfungstadt is also notable as being the birthplace of the great Anglo-Jewish synagogue composer Julius Mombach.
Regional service of Pfungstadt Railway (Pfungstadtbahn) to Darmstadt Hauptbahnhof was reactivated at the beginning of 2012. It is served by the extension of services on the Odenwald Railway (Odenwaldbahn) from Darmstadt station to Pfungstadt as RB 66.
Buses (VIA25222, VIA25224, Bus P and Bus PE) also serve Pfungstadt. The Pfungstadt bus station is on Berliner Street. The Bundesautobahn 5 freeway is to the west of town. The main road near the town are to the east B3 and the Bundesautobahn 5 freeway. To the west of town is the Bundesautobahn 67 freeway.
Pfungstadt is twinned with the towns of: