Petersburg High School (Virginia)
Petersburg High School is located in Petersburg, Virginia.
|Petersburg High School|
3101 Johnson Road
|Founded||1974 (in current location)|
|School district||Petersburg Public Schools|
|Principal||Alica Felids (as of 2020-2021)|
|Teaching staff||69.00 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.17|
|Color(s)||Crimson and Gold|
|Athletic Conference||Central District|
Petersburg High School is located on Johnson Road in Petersburg, Virginia. The new school combined the old Petersburg High School on Washington Street (currently the Appomattox Regional Governor's School) and the old Peabody High School (currently Peabody Middle School) on Wesley Street.
Petersburg High School opened the current Johnson Road location on September 3, 1974. The campus style architecture of the facility was divided into four wings by architect Gordon B. Galusha. The William W. Lawson, Jr. Gymnasium, which extends east of the main building, was named after the title winning basketball coach, the late William H. Lawson, Jr. It has one full-sized basketball court and seats approximately 3,000 fans comfortably. The auditorium is located in the main building and seats 924 with 532 plush red-cushioned seats located in the orchestra. Seating in the rear of the auditorium includes desk-top seats. The band and choral rooms include built in risers and an individual sound studio for instrumental music students. The cafeteria, adjacent to the auditorium, is centrally located to provide easy access by all wings.
- Tyra Bolling - R&B Artist
- Ricky Hunley - (1980) retired NFL player
- Byron E. Johnson - (1984) retired NFL player
- Kendall Langford - (2003) NFL player
- Moses Malone - (1974) retired NBA player
- Frank Mason - (2012) Current NBA player
- Jerome Mathis - (2001) NFL/AFL player 
- Trey Songz - (2002) R&B Artist
- Quinton Spain - (2011) Current NFL player
- Blair Underwood - (1982) actor
- Mark West - retired NBA player
- Avis Wyatt - Professional Euro-League Basketball player
Terrance Whittle, College Baseball coach
- "Petersburg High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 24, 2019.
- "Tyra B." Eventful. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- Kane, Patrick (September 18, 2013). "Ricky Hunley visits PHS student-athletes". The Progress-Index. Archived from the original on March 13, 2014. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Kane, Patrick (September 18, 2013). "Ricky Hunley visits PHS student-athletes". The Progress-Index. Archived from the original on July 6, 2014. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "Langford gives back to PHS". The Progress-Index. August 26, 2010. Archived from the original on March 13, 2014. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Deford, Frank (February 19, 1979). "Bounding Into Prominence". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "Jerome Mathis, WR, Hampton". USA Today. May 18, 2005. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Schmidt, Markus (November 23, 2013). "Trey Songz plans benefit tonight in Richmond". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Schmidt, Markus (September 18, 2010). "Blair Underwood back at Petersburg High School". The Progress-Index. Archived from the original on January 1, 2013. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Malone, Mitch (June 27, 2013). "Petersburg / NBA Star Mark West Now Assistant Coach Of Phoenix Suns". WKJS. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Fulp, Vic (March 24, 2005). "VSU selects a familiar face: Austin Peay assistant Collins is a former player/coach in the Trojans' basketball program". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
|This article about a school in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|