Peter and Wendy (film)
Peter and Wendy is a 2015 television film made for ITV in the UK. It was written by Adrian Hodges, directed by Diarmuid Lawrence and produced by Stewart Mackinnon and Christian Baute, Headline Pictures.
The film is based on the story of Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie, blending it with an original narrative set in the present day. The film draws a connection between the stories of Barrie and the real life Great Ormond Street Hospital, echoing sentiments shared by Barrie himself, who left all the rights to Peter Pan to the hospital in 1929, a few years before his death.
It was first broadcast on 26 December 2015 and received positive reviews for the bold and emotional re-imagining of the classic children's tale.
Lucy is a teenage girl with a heart condition who is awaiting risky surgery that would save her life. Late in the night before her operation she reads a copy of Peter Pan and dreams she is Wendy and Peter Pan takes her to Neverland.
- Stanley Tucci as Captain Hook/Mr. Darling/Dr. Wylie
- Dan Tetsell as Ratcliffe/Dalton
- Laura Elphinstone as Starkey/Ali
- Rasmus Hardiker as Smee/Smith
- Gershwyn Eustache Jnr as Cecco/Yeboah
- Ricky Champ as Bill Jukes/Malik
- Asim Chaudhry as Mullins/Johnson
- Laura Fraser as Mrs. Darling/Julie Rose
- Hazel Doupe as Wendy Darling/Lucy Rose
- Natifa Mai as Tiger Lily/Jaya
- Zak Sutcliffe as Peter Pan
- Paloma Faith as Tinker Bell
The film won an International Emmy in 2016, and a Special Award for Best Director at the Parma Film Music Festival in 2016.
- "Peter and Wendy official website of the film".
- IMDb. "IMDb entry on Peter and Wendy".
- Phoebe Jackson-Edwards (27 December 2015). "'Heartbreaking' TV adaptation of Peter Pan set in Great Ormond Street Hospital has viewers in floods of tears with tragic ending". Dail Mail.
- ITV. "ITV's press release for Peter and Wendy".
- IMDb. "IMDb Awards entry on Peter and Wendy".
- Jasper Rees (26 December 2015). "Peter and Wendy, review: 'just what the doctor ordered'". The Telegraph.
- Paul Kirkley (22 December 2015). "Peter & Wendy: Stanley Tucci and Paloma Faith fly high in magical reimagining of children's classic". Radio Times.