The Percidae are a family of ray-finned fish, part of the order Perciformes, which are found in fresh and brackish waters of the Northern Hemisphere. The majority are Nearctic, but there are also Palearctic species. The family contains more than 200 species in 11 genera. The perches, and their relatives are in this family; well-known species include the walleye, sauger, ruffe, and three species of perch. However, small fish known as darters are also a part of this family.
Temporal range: Eocene to present
|Yellow perch (Perca flavescens)|
The family is characterised by having the dorsal fin split into two which are normally separated or have a narrow connection, although this is wider in the genus Zingel, the front section contains the spines and the rear section contains the soft rays. The anal fin contains 1 or 2 spines, if there is a second spine it is typically weak. The pelvic fins are placed on the thorax and have a single spine and 5 soft rays. They also have skeletal synapomorphies. The maximum size attained in 100 centimetres (39 in) in the zander (Sander lucioperca) but most of the species in the family are much smaller. Their scales are ctenoid and their bodies are normally somewhat elongate.
- Subfamily Percinae Rafinesque, 1815
- Subfamily Acerinae Bleeker, 1858
- Subfamily Percarininae Gill, 1861
- Subfamily Luciopercinae Jordan & Evermann, 1896
- Subfamily Etheostomatinae Agassiz, 1850
- Richard van der Laan; William N. Eschmeyer & Ronald Fricke (2014). "Family-group names of Recent fishes". Zootaxa. 3882 (2): 001–230.
- Kraft C.E; D.M. Carlson; M. Carlson (2006). "Inland fishes of New York (online) Version4.0". Department of Natural Resources, Cornell University and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
- J. S. Nelson; T. C. Grande; M. V. H. Wilson (2016). Fishes of the World (5th ed.). Wiley. pp. 448–450. ISBN 978-1-118-34233-6.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2019). "Percidae" in FishBase. December 2019 version.
- "Percidae: Form and Function". Encyclopaedia Britannica. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- Eschmeyer, William N.; Fricke, Ron & van der Laan, Richard (eds.). "Genera in the family Percidae". Catalog of Fishes. California Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 11 September 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Percidae.|