This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
FirstMark Capital is a venture capital firm based in New York City. FirstMark invests in early-stage technology companies, frequently as the first institutional investor. Notable investments include Airbnb, Pinterest, Shopify, DraftKings, Upwork, and InVision.
|Founded||June 30, 2008|
|Headquarters||New York City, U.S.|
Among the firm's areas of focus are Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, healthcare, enterprise applications, education, financial technology, e-commerce, direct-to-consumer, and marketing technology.
FirstMark was founded on June 30, 2008 by Mr. Lenihan, Jerry Poch, Amish Jani and Rick Heitzmann. The firm has raised 4 early-stage funds and 2 growth funds.
- The first fund, for $197M, was raised in 2008.
- The second fund, for $225M, was raised in 2011.
- The third fund, for $225M, was raised in 2013.
- The fourth fund, for $275M, was raised in 2016.
FirstMark has also raised two growth-stage funds.
FirstMark Capital was founded by Rick Heitzmann and Amish Jani in 2008. The firm now has five managing directors: Rick Heitzmann, Amish Jani, Matt Turck, Beth Ferreira and Adam Nelson.
In addition to its investment team, the firm employs a Platform team focused on areas like corporate development, talent, content, and community who are responsible for supporting FirstMark companies after an investment. FirstMark also organizes four NYC-based communities revolving around Artificial Intelligence & Big Data, design and product management, emerging and frontier technology, and software development.
The firm's most notable investments include Pinterest,, which debuted on New York Stock Exchange on April 18, 2019, as well as Shopify. Other current and historical investments include Riot Games, creator of League of Legends (acquired by Tencent Holdings), InVision, Discord, Airbnb, Upwork, TraceLink, Dashlane, Starry, and Ro among others.
FirstMark focuses on Series A and Seed-stage investments, with capital reserved for follow-investments.
- "Pequot to Separate Its V.C. and Hedge Fund Units" (DealBook). United States: New York Times. The New York Times Company. 4 March 2008. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- Geron, Tomio (15 June 2016). "FirstMark Capital Raises $480M for Two New Funds". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Vilarino, Dalbert (24 March 2019). "Hey, Look at Me! I'm a Venture Capitalist". New York Times. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Primack, Dan (1 September 2016). "Exclusive: DraftKings Raises Giant New Funding Round". Fortune (magazine). Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Crichton, Danny (3 October 2018). "Upwork pops more than 50 percent in Nasdaq debut". TechCrunch. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "FirstMark | Crunchbase".
- Shopify Raises $7 Million Series A Funding
- China's Tencent Buys Riot Games for $400 Million
- Ha, Anthony. "InVision Raises $1.5M For Beautiful, Interactive Prototypes". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Matney, Lucas (21 December 2018). "Gaming chat startup Discord raises $150M, surpassing $2B valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "Airbnb". FirstMark. Retrieved 2019-08-14.
- Crook, Jordan (30 November 2016). "TraceLink, helping the pharma industry trace and track drugs, lands $51.5M from Goldman Sachs". TechCrunch. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Dashlane Passes 2M Users, Collects $22M For Its Client-Based Password Manager. TechCrunch, May 19, 2014
- "Aereo's Founder Is Back With Starry. This Time He's Going After Broadband, Not TV". Recode. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Clark, Kate (15 April 2019). "Ro, a direct-to-consumer online pharmacy, reaches $500M valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 10 October 2019.