Peace and Friendship Stadium
The Peace and Friendship Stadium, commonly known by its acronym SEF (Greek: Στάδιο Ειρήνης και Φιλίας, transliterated as Stadio Eirinis kai Filias), is a multi-purpose indoor arena that is located in Piraeus, on the coastal zone of Athens, Greece. The arena is mostly known for being the home to EuroLeague team Olympiacos, and is the central venue of the Faliro Coastal Zone Olympic Complex. It opened in 1985.
|Location||Neo Faliro, Piraeus, Athens, Greece|
(including court-side seats - current for Olympiacos games)
(all collapsible bleachers in use)
(all collapsible bleachers in use, plus court-side seats)
(full configuration of the arena - during EuroBasket 1987)
(during the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics)
Indoor athletics: 10,520
|Opened||February 16, 1985|
|Construction cost||€ 25 million (1983)|
€ 7.3 million (2002–2004)
The arena complex also contains a 942-seat amphitheater, a weight training room, a full practice facility, three auxiliary courts that house the Olympiacos youth clubs, and the Olympiacos team office.
The Peace and Friendship Stadium opened in 1985, and its construction cost was €25,000,000 in 1983 prices. It was designed by the architectural firm "Thymios Papagiannis and Associates". The arena is built opposite to the Karaiskakis Stadium, located in the western end of the Phaleron Bay, in the coastal zone of Athens. It was inaugurated on February 16, 1985, at the first Panhellenic Athletics Indoor Championship, and hosted the 1985 European Athletics Indoor Championships in March. Originally it was designed and operated for a dual use as an ice hockey rink and as basketball stadium. The first Greek Ice Hockey Championship was held in the stadium in 1989. The operation of the skating rink was stopped for the use of other sports.
In 1991, the arena won the Golden Award from IAKS, the International Association for Sports and Leisure Facilities.
Since the 1991–92 season, the Peace and Friendship Stadium has been the home court to Greek League and EuroLeague professional basketball club Olympiacos. The arena was closed from April 2002, to early 2004, for renovation works, at a total cost of €7,300,000, and hosted the indoor volleyball tournament during the 2004 Summer Olympics. During the period that the arena was closed for renovations, Olympiacos played at the Glyfada Makis Liougas Sportshall, during the 2001–02 season, and at the Korydallos Sports Hall, during the 2002–03 and 2003–04 seasons.
The arena's total capacity varies, depending on the collapsible bleachers used in the lower level, besides its 11,640 permanent seating in the mid and upper levels, with additional temporary seating, it currently seats a total of 12,000 people for basketball games. The Peace and Friendship Stadium seats up to 14,776 for basketball games, with all the bleachers in use.
The arena is occasionally used for events like congresses, music concerts, and indoor motocross races. The Scorpions, Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Status Quo, UB40, Gloria Estefan, Deep Purple, and Placebo, are among the artists who have performed at the Peace and Friendship Stadium.
The Peace and Friendship Stadium is located in the Neo Faliro area of Piraeus municipality, on the coastal Poseidonos Avenue, and at the end of the Kifissou Avenue. It is 2 km away from the port of Piraeus. It sits on a major transportation hub, next to the Faliro metro station on Athens Metro Line 1, and the SEF station, the terminus of Athens Tram.
Notable events hostedEdit
- Indoor athletics
- 1989 European Champions' Cup Final
- 1992 European Champions' Cup Final Four
- 1993 European Champions' Cup Final Four
- 1994 World Championship
- 1995 Men's European Volleyball Championship
- 1996 European Cup Winners' Cup Final Four
- 2004 Summer Olympics – Volleyball tournament
- 2005 European Top Teams Cup Final Four
- The Peace and Friendship Stadium.
- Έτοιμο το ΣΕΦ για τον τελικό Ολυμπιακός-Ραβένα(pics) (in Greek).
- Στο ΣΕΦ με τη Ραβένα για την Κούπα! (in Greek).
- Arena: Peace and Friendship Stadium aka the SEF (11,600/12,000).
- Λίγα Ιστορικά στοιχεία (in Greek).
- "Olympiacos Piraeus". Euroleague Properties. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- FACILITIES Places Exhibitions / Conferences - Melina Mercouri.
- The facilities.
- Olympiacos BC HQ.
- "Peace and Friendship Stadium". Mondo Spazio. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- History (in Greek)
- 2004 Summer Olympics official report. Volume 2. p. 421.
- "Olympiacos B.C. move". stadia.gr. October 13, 2001. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
- Stadium Presentation Brochure.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peace and Friendship Stadium.|
- Official website (in Greek)
- SEF at Olympiacos B.C.'s official website
- SEF at stadia.gr
- Basketball images at Getty images
- The transformations of SEF (in Greek)
|Events and tenants|
| European Indoor Championships in Athletics
Palacio de Deportes de la CAM
Patinoire des Vernets
| FIBA European Champions Cup
| FIBA EuroBasket
Palais des Sports
| FIBA European Cup Winners' Cup
Palasport di Firenze
Abdi İpekçi Arena
| FIBA European League
Yad Eliyahu Sports Hall